Customer reviews

VINE VOICEon 8 November 2017
This is an excellent collection of contemporary drawings from an internationally selected group of artists.

The 66 artists featured work in a wide diversity of styles, media and subject and with various intent; the introductory essays highlight a few of the artists included and attribute the current rise in drawing to a backlash against the domination of digital media and it`s inability to enable the immediacy artists find in the use of traditional graphic media – as a result, drawing is now perhaps more popular as an art in itself than anyone could have imagined, rivalling painting and fuelled by the communication offered – ironically – by the internet.
The diversity of the work ensures something for everyone and probably a few examples that don`t connect, but this is an inspiring and fascinating presentation nevertheless.
The one criticism I have is of the pasteboard covers which cheapen the quality of the book, though it is otherwise well-bound and printed with good clear illustrations on decent paper.

A very good addition to any artist's library – an absolutely essential purchase if you draw at all.
Do use the “Look inside” option – or watch Parka`s very helpful video.
One person found this helpful
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 12 February 2014
I didn't like this work as much as Parka. Our views are obviously totally subjective, so how much you like it depends on whether your taste in art matches his or mine.

The skills on display vary from the mind-boggling to the average, and the subject matter from the sublime to the repellent, and from the enchanting to the pointless. For my taste, too many of the examples are creepy, ugly, gross, or depressing - none of these genre matching my view of the purpose of art (note: MY view; yours may be different, which is fine). A psychiatrist would have a field day with some of them.

Some examples are glorified doodles of the kind I used to make at long, boring meetings when it wasn't my turn to bore everyone else. Others are exercises in pure skill, and therefore appear to qualify more as craft than art - which certainly has its place in this context - whilst still others appear to qualify as sign-writing or graphic design, neither of which interest me greatly.

If I were rating the content en masse, I perhaps wouldn't give more than 3 stars; but despite the nature of much of the subject matter, I'm still glad to have it; it's good value for money in terms of PPP (pix per pound), I found it "interesting" (I would put that in italics if Amazon allowed) and I've quite enjoyed browsing it. However, if your taste is for the conventional in landscape portrait, and still-life drawing, you might find better use for your money.

I suspect that the cardboard covers will deteriorate pretty quickly with much handling, especially the unprotected corners. Can't see the point of this kind of bookbinding.
6 people found this helpful
on 25 December 2016
An absolutely wonderful book! I had been searching for a book like this for years and after purchasing Vitamin D: new perspectives in drawing and Vitamin D2, I thought I would not find anything better, I was wrong.
The book contains a very insightful and inspiring introduction and features many many artists who use drawing as their primary medium.
The illustrations are high quality and give a really good impression of the original artworks, the blurb for each artist includes; background, method, materials used etc, all written in the artists own words.
A thoroughly enjoyable book which I couldn't recommend more highly.
2 people found this helpful
on 17 February 2016
just received this and it looks just what I need
on 4 February 2015
good selection of drawings , very talented people
on 28 June 2014
Magnificent.
HALL OF FAMETOP 50 REVIEWERon 25 October 2013
 Walk the Line: The Art of Drawing is a delightful collection of artworks that celebrate traditional drawing.

This is a thick 320-page hardcover authored by Ana Ibarra and Marc Valli. The cover is those cardboard cut off at the sides, and the pages are off white, non glossy.

The work curated and showcased are outstanding. Well, there are 66 artists so you get to see a huge variety of work. The media used are mainly pencils, graphite, charcoal, ballpoint and ink. These artists are masters of the tools they use. It's quite amazing what effects the tools can produce, such as realistic fur drawings with pencils, the textures created by ballpoint pen hatching. The illustrations are really beautiful, detailed.

It's difficult for me to pick any particular artist or piece and say that's my favourite. Every artwork is unique and has their own charm, some alluring element. All are inspiring to look at, be it portraiture, pattern designs, animals or scenes from imagination.

Each artist also has a short profile talking about their background, techniques, style and other stuff.

Highly recommended to those who like contemporary art and illustration in traditional medium.

(There are more pictures of the book on my blog. Just visit my Amazon profile for the link.)
9 people found this helpful