Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 June 2015
found out about these books through a friend and since im constantly sitting at work scribbling on paper i thought this is perfect for me.

really really nice designs inside and the quality of the book and paper used for it is amazing.

i would highly recommend these types of books as one picture can honestly take forever to colour in due to the huge amount of detail in them.
on 19 January 2015
A newer version came out with thicker paper, really lovely and no bleed through!
Original review:
This is without question the most beautiful colouring book I have ever owned and my favourite too. Except as others have said the paper is too thin. Any kind of inks seem to bleed through, this leaves me very torn about what to do (perhaps colour only every other page?) I would happily pay extra for this on thicker paper, it seems such a shame as this is truly beautiful but I feel reluctant to use it.
on 19 August 2015
Love this book! It really is beautifully drawn with lots of detail to colour in. I picked this one as it isn't just a colouring book but has space for you to add your own details and also there are hidden creatures to find as you go along. I purchased a pack of Staedtler Triplus Finliners at the same time after reading review that said the details are small and normal pens are too thick. I was glad I did as my normal pens/pencils are too thick for some of the finer details. I have also see a few reviews about the quality of the paper, there were no issues with this, mine was printed in the Netherlands and the paper is very thick, almost like blotting paper and the pens I've used haven't gone through.
on 24 June 2013
Oh my goodness, this book is even more gorgeous than I was expecting from the reviews. So many pages of loveliness, so much to look at and look for. I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with it. And at £6 and some pennies, it's a third off the cover price. You know you want it.
on 27 January 2016
This a beautiful book and the illustrations are gorgeous. The one really disappointing thing is the quality of the paper,its truly awful. I have several colouring books and even the cheapest ones are better quality paper. It spoils what is otherwise a lovely book. I bought this when it first came out and it cost a lot more so I guess its ok for the price.
on 22 May 2015
Please note that this book has been reprinted a number of times. The version I bought on 15/5/15 has high-quality paper, and there is no trace of ink bleeding through to the other (printed) side of each page. Even IF you get a version with the thinner paper, there are more than forty pages, eighty sides of pictures to colour, so if you only coloured half of the designs, then at just under a tenner, each single-side design is costing you less that 25p. With the better quality paper, that drops to 12p per side.

What is great about this book is that Johanna gives you space to add your own inky drawings to hers - if you want to! One page will have a circular or square design in the centre, the opposite page will have the edges filled, with a matching circular or square white space in the middle. Some designs flow over two pages, with white space around the design for your own additions. What this does is allow you to leave that white space - it gives the designs room to breathe, while most colouring books fill each page, edge to edge, which makes them look a little chaotic. This white space, I find, makes this book even more relaxing to complete. Johanna adds typed suggestions to the incomplete pages, but even this is done in a sympathetic way, with old-style typeface, random letter sizes and the text flowing along the edge of the existing design. The text becomes part of the artwork, rather than having an ugly block of text in one corner.

The book is flowers, trees and animals - you'll need plenty of shades of green! The basis is on reality - many of these books have the internal spaces of animals filled with a giddy mass of geometric lines and patterns, just to add complexity to the drawings. None of that here, thankfully.

If this is your first foray into the world of adult colouring book, I really can't think of a better introduction.
on 21 October 2013
This was bought for a disabled adult, it's a beautifully illustrated book. She hasn't started to colour it yet but is looking forward to using it. She especially likes the pages that leave some of the detail for her to fill in.
on 10 November 2015
Make sure you buy the 'printed in Netherlands' version. Another reviewer has mentioned this, and it is absolutely correct. The printed in china copy has far inferior quality paper. This is a lovely colouring book for those into adult colouring. Lots of detail in the pictures. the only citicism is the pictures are a bit samey. The Enchanted Forset by the same author has more range in it. Well worth buying both books. I recommend the Staedtler Norris colouring pencils. I have tried some of the very expensive ones and found the leads to be too thick for fine detail
on 12 January 2016
My copy was printed in Italy, and I bought it from a gallery where I could look at it first - no problems with the paper quality, you can use pen and it will not show at all on the other side. Very relaxing for doing in the TV adverts when you're watching a film…. lovely drawings and will take a long time to complete.
on 29 July 2016
Lovely drawings throughout and surprisingly varied. Paper is smooth and of good quality but spoiled by cream colour - perhaps some people like it but I would have preferred white pages like Millie Marota's books.