Customer reviews

on 21 July 2014
Excellent
on 2 February 2013
The book is not written by an engineer or cycle designer as such, many of the descriptions are factually inacurate and does not really do what it says on the tin. adiition to a collection of bike books? maybe other than that not worth the bother really
on 9 February 2014
A quick flick through this book at SF airport led me to think it looked interesting. I'm a bike rider and a designer. However it is either very lazily written, or has been funded by a coalition of German auto makers.
There are some great bikes in here, but does anyone really think that BMW produces great bikes, or that Mercedes, Porsche, or even Puma has?
Their bikes are little more than branding exercises. I can see no grounds for their inclusion.
One innovation I think worthy of note has to be the Cannondale Lefty. Surely that deserves a placing above a regular bike branded by an auto company?
AC
on 5 January 2013
A great companion book to CYLEPEDIA - A TOUR OF ICONIC BICYCLE DESIGNS. Informative, with a great range of photographs. The book covers race/touring, BMX/mountain, city,folding/innovative bikes and accessories.My favourite machine is STARKE 1 bySilverbackTechnologies. BMW, Porche and Mercedes-Benz also have entries. Full price £15 but The Book Depository had it at a reduced price - well worth it.
on 14 June 2013
I bought this book as I am interested in all aspects of cycling and I thought it would be an interesting book to add to my collection. It is a fairly poor book and I was quickly bored with the content.
on 8 January 2014
I don't think this book contains the 100 best bikes. It's got some nice piccies but I could have done better.
on 9 March 2015
VERY QUICK AND PRECISE INFO WELL DESIGNED AND LAYED OUT
VINE VOICEon 3 July 2013
I believe that this books attempts to do what it says on the cover, by offering one hundred items (of which the majority are bicycles) of interest. They range from the tradition, through road bikes, mountain bikes and BMX, through to more urban designs. There's also a small, select, range of accessories that are picked out for attention.

Images are good, with the occassional detailed shot and bicycles get a full page image, with the supporting text.

The actual structure of the book seems reasonably logical, with the content ordered by 'type' or 'purpose' into the sections. Beyond that though, things get a little 'thin' and 'vague' for my liking.

There doesn't appear to be much in the way of explanation as to why this particular one hundred items were selected. I approached it with the hope that it might be 'significant' designs, innovation or even things that were just different. What I felt was that, it read more like a catalogue, with little in the way of flow or connection between the bicycles that are presented.

The text really doesn't help either, as the information could easily be found in the websites or catalogues of the respective manufacturers. There's little that really catches the interest and makes a particular model, feature or detail stand out.

I'm left with the lingering question as to 'why' the selection was made, what made something stadnout from the crowd. Perhaps that's the purpose of the book, to make you think about it; but there's not enough information for me to chew over, leaving me feeling just a little short changed.