on 8 November 2017
This book excellent. I was near to tears very mealtime til I read this book. Not only did I feel relaxed and happy about my baby's eating after reading it, I also just found it very interesting all the points regarding diet, nutrition, various studies, guidelines and weight charts across the globe. Excellently written and very funny at times.
on 23 November 2015
Great read. Big eye opener And I bought this for a friend's baby shower gift. I have a copy at a breastfeeding group I Run in my local area because its so informative. I just wish they would change the title because it's applicable to all children.
on 20 January 2016
With a 16 month old first child, meal times have been a big concern. Is he eating enough, is he eating the right things...grr he has refused vegetables again. This book cuts right to the point and I feel a lot more relaxed now.
on 25 November 2015
Understandably a little out of date but good ideas. Wish I'd read it while my first was still a baby as would have helped with breastfeeding and BLW
As with all gentle parenting books it's about managing your expectations rather than expecting miracles
on 30 March 2017
If you are a parent if a fussy eater then buy this book!! I was at my wits end and it has helped me relax and understand my childs lack of interest in food. It has a common sense approach and I am so glad I bought it. Highly recommend this book!
on 8 January 2017
Our 15month old has been giving us no end of grief with fussy eating. This book helped reinforce advice we'd been given elsewhere, that is you can't force feed a child and in the end they will eat what they need. There are plenty of short case studies which help illustrate his points. There is some valuable advice in there. However ultimately the author's ideas could be condensed onto a single page so it seems a little drawn out in places.
on 25 December 2012
I bought this book because my daughter eats very little at meal times, and I was worried because she wasn't eating what the doctor said she should be - 200g of vegetables twice a day (!) The author says that children are very good at regulating their appetite - and as long as you offer healthy foods at meal times, then you can relax and let your child choose what he/she wants, as well as how much.
There is probably more advice aimed at breastfeeding mothers - but I think any parent could read this and be reassured that their child knows what they should be eating. It takes the stress out of mealtimes !
on 12 December 2013
My daughter eats nothing for real and she is 16 months old. This book helps me a lot to undertsand her and to learn what really a child needs. It makes me feel much better and releases my stress
on 26 March 2015
I begin my review with this quote from Dr Montessori, because, as the saying goes, great minds think alike, and this book written by Dr Gonzalez couldn't be more in tune with what his colleague Dr Montessori has said. I find Dr Gonzalez's approach to baby and child feeding very inspirational, because it presents everything in the context of a parent-child relationship. I've always believed that mother nature has created human beings with the potential to develop and thrive and it's the parents job to ensure the right conditions for that to happen. Therefore, all the anxiety around baby/child feeding, especially the question of how much the child eats/should be eating is not really necessary and this book reassure parents on that. After all, how would human species have survived by now if human babies didn't have the inbuilt knowledge how much to eat and the natural tendency not to starve themselves? Babies are born with innate instincts that dictate them what they need and unlike us, adults, they follow them unquestionably, they are not influenced by artificial social norms or stereotypes, neither are they manipulative or spoiled. Therefore, I agree with the author that if there is a problem with a child's eating, where there is no valid medical reason for that, then there must be something wrong in his environment, which is usually set up and in the control of adults. I don't see why some take it personally that Dr Gonzalez suggests that the problem usually lies within the parents themselves and not the child- it is intrinsic for children to survive and thrive and it is the caregivers’ responsibility to ensure the right conditions for that. If something is wrong with my baby, I always start to investigate what I could have done wrong; this seems so normal and natural to me for the aforementioned reasons.
Also, I agree with one of the other reviewers who suggested that this book could complement the blw approach. From my experience blw books and articles tend to sound overly optimistic, creating the expectations that as soon as the child is given the opportunity to feed themselves, they will start eating anything and mealtimes will be a bliss, which is not always the case, but this doesn't necessarily mean that there is a problem. And even if there was a problem, it is more likely to be not in the child's plate but in the adult’s head.
All in all, great book, that not only gives you advice on nutrition, information on how to read growth charts and takes away the pressure from meal times, but can also serve as a manual on its own about parent-child relationship.
on 8 March 2016
Perhaps it should be called 'My Baby Won't Eat'.
We're having 4 yr old trouble and it didn't help a bit.