on 9 October 2015
I saw this in a book shop but didn't want to pay the rrp.....So got it second hand on here

So...the story.....I'm not a young adult _-that's who this book is marketed for- but I actually loved it.

It's quite dark and a bit confusing in parts as the story isn't straight forward.

It deals with a boy taking photos on his phone of a girl (15?ish age) And sending it to his friends....which could've been handeled well to show girls why they shouldn't do this. (Do you realise at 15 that those photos will be there when you're 40&job hunting...!)

But it wasn't a good plot line, the girl forgave him and the photos weren't mentioned. And although the photos were sent everywhere, the girls strict parents didn't find out

So...it made me NOT give this book to my teenager. I'd bought it to read to check it was ok for her.
But the subjects were a little too old for her (she's 13) & after reading the photo storyline, I didn't want her reading it.

So would I recommend...yes.

It's good but I'd say only if you're a mature teenager or adult.
on 2 June 2014
Another purchase for my daughter, and she was amazed. At first the reviews she had read had made her reconsider the purchase, however when she began reading, she was blown away. Ketchup Clouds is a book that consists of letters to a prisoner on Death Row from a teenage girl. The teenage girl is struggling with growing up with life, and she has her own 'crime' that she committed and just wants someone to know. She falls in love with this boy but gets caught between him and his brother. Although it may sound cliched and like another 'teen novel', however my daughter insists that this book is good and that people should not be put off by the negative reviews. It drew her in, and if you feel like you'll like it, it's worth a try!
on 21 January 2014
That's my best description of the book...,so far.
I stopped reading after Zoe was caught two timing,halfway through the book.As some other reviewers have mentioned,it can be trying to read.The story is quite well written,it's just on several levels and you have to be in the mood.The humour is very good and the premise for the story unusual.
We are led to believe the story is written in a freezing shed at night 'cos Zoe can't sleep well due to a guilty conscience !
This book is aimed at teenagerts and quite possibly,at 54,I may be too old.You know...,first kisses and living at home with your parents...,etc. I'm not saying I don't enjoy reading books at all levels but....,I'm just not in the mood right now,that's all.I will probably finish the book at some stage.So..,I'm not sure if,in finishing the book,my rating will increase or decease.
There is nothing wrong with the story or the content,it's the interwoven way it's written which made it seem hard work.
on 18 January 2017
One of the best books I've read in years. Moving, beautiful and compelling, I had to buy it for my friends too. It doesn't matter that it's titled 'Teenage Fiction', it's one of the best books I've read to date. Original and powerful writing.
on 27 August 2013
I enjoyed reading this. A girl with a guilty conscience writes to a criminal on death row in America, sharing her secrets with a man she feels may understand. Primarily told from her point of view the story unfolds gradually. The narrator is a 16 year-old, and occasionally the 'voice' seemed much younger than this. I also found it hard to be fully sympathetic towards her as she ends up caught between two boys, going out with the one she doesn't really fancy because a) he asked her and b) it makes the other girls jealous. That aside the story was well-written, and I agree with its conclusion that sometimes we just have to find a way to live with the guilt and move on.
on 29 September 2013
What a follow up to 'My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece.' A marvellous tale of awakening teenage love and sexuality against a cleverly engineered background in which many questions are asked, but the answers to which are not revealed until the very end of the book. You have to go on reading to find the answers and the neat twist in the tail is very skilful. Annabel Pitcher must be one of our best new authors and in this case using a really original format for telling her story - read it and see!
on 9 April 2014
To be honest this book did grab my attention as I continued going along with the story. It displayed such detail and displayed Zoe' s guilt which many of us may have felt before. This book dug deep into what guilt could do to you but also gave us an understanding of how people you wouldn't expect to understand can or the fact that you are not alone. The style of this book told a story within letters featuring obviously both the past and present. This book is mature and keeps you focused. Personally I would recommend this book to young adults,maybe even adults themselves because Annabel Pitcher's book Ketchup Clouds is honestly a great piece of work.
on 29 September 2013
Zoe was believable, but not that nice which was fine, as we got to know her as we went along. Not sure about the twist, I d worked it out pretty far back. I don't think the sexting bit needed to be in there . I felt uncomfortable that she went back to max, it set her as a bad role model, is it ok for girls to put up with this behaviour?. Mind you he did get his comeuppance, poor kid!

It's a pacey read although the diary format felt a bit laboured sometimes. Worth a read though!
on 14 August 2013
This is one of those books that when you're not reading it, you're thinking about the characters and what could happen next. It hooks you from the beginning with the secret, and you want to know how it happened.
When I finished this book I actually had a 'book hangover' - for anyone who doesn't know what this is, it basically involves you wandering around aimlessly for a while, feeling a bit emotionally numb and sad that you've finished the book because it was so good and you got so immersed in the world of the book that the sudden removal shocks you.
I would thoroughly recommend this book, and if I had to choose a target audience I'd go for women aged between seventeen and seventy.
on 4 January 2014
I rated this book 5 stars because it really did take my breath away; there's not one thing I disliked about this book. It had me smiling, laughing, gasping and crying! I highly recommend this book to anyone aged 13+. You will not regret it!!

ps. I should say that this review was written by my breathtakingly brilliant 15 year old daughter!