on 4 August 2015
As with Men In White Suits, this book takes the approach of interviewing players from a certain decade in Liverpool's history. The 80s were glory years for Liverpool, but there were still struggles to contend with for those coming into the club from elsewhere. As a non-Liverpool supporter, I found this book very enlightening. Bruce Grobbelar, for one, has a fantastic story to tell.
on 17 December 2013
Some of the obviously big names aren't in this book but I think that adds to the character of it brilliantly written and an excellent read. Ynwa
on 18 October 2013
I am a Chelsea die-hard, and would never buy anything associated with Liverpool, but a good friend who is a scouser is a Liverpool die-hard, and after him boring me to death about the clubs exploits, coupled with this being given a great newspaper review, I decided to buy it for him.
I admit to reading parts before I gift-wrapped it, and must say, it is an excellent read, from back in the days of REAL football before it became a corporate business we now detest!
on 5 November 2013
Simon Hughes is well known in Liverpool as a talented and gifted sports writer, and it is a testament to him that he has gone back in time to write about part of LFC's golden era that he heard about from his father's tales, back when footballers were real men, and players, staff and backroom staff gave their all to their clubs, and loyalty wasn't just attached to a price tag. I read this book as an Everton fan, but it still made a great read for me. As the book is based around the 1980's this was a hugely competitive time for Merseyside football, and there are some huge characters in the book, from Craig Johnson to John Barnes, who Liverpool fans will always hold in great esteem. Simon writes with knowledge, depth and humour and his love for his craft and his team shine through. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It would make a great gift for a devoted Liverpool fan. I am sure that Susan Hughes, to whom this book is dedicated, would have been very proud. We are certainly proud that our city has such a creative sports writer representing us!
on 8 August 2014
Good to deal with.
on 6 December 2014
Great read and very good service
on 28 June 2015
good read
on 8 January 2015
Bought this for my stepfather as a Christmas prezzy, went down very well!
on 16 January 2016
Good read
on 2 June 2015
Well worth a read thoroughly enjoyed it.