Stolen: Escape from Syria
Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 May 2014
I can honestly say that Louise can only blame herself for the course of events that led her to have to snatch her daughter and escape from Syria. I had every sympathy for her in the beginning but after she was repeatedly beaten and then the abuse extended to her daughter, I became furious and unsympathetic to her story. There is no man on earth that i would allow to beat me or my child, cheat on me, steal from me, and take him back for no other reason than 'I was under his spell'. Don't waste your money on this tale of a stupid woman who had a loving family and beautiful child, good job, money and property of her own but who put her child and herself through hell for no justifiable reason whatsoever, and then made a book out of it.
4 people found this helpful
on 28 August 2013
I agree with a number of comments made - repetitive, poorly written, cliche after cliche, and a bit self-obsessed. The journalist who co-wrote the book was after a quick proft with little effort made. The story was an interesting one and yes, there are loads of women who time and time again give an abusive man another chance. But the whole thing was let down by very poor writing and her understanding of Syrian or Muslim cultures does border on prejudice.
2 people found this helpful
on 10 April 2013
I read this in 2 sessions - difficult to put down. Saw the lady on This Morning and had to read her story. Shows the strength of a Mother's love. Even tho it is badly written (too much use of the term "myself" - backstory slotted in at odd intervals) it is a scary, thrilling amazing experience to read. You are there with her on her travel to Syria and her nerve wracking, thrilling, dangerous and amazingly courageous escape. I gave it four because of the sloppy writing, but that is not her fault. I can highly recommend.
on 6 February 2016
The depth of her love and the determination of a mother when her child is in danger is revealed dramatically in Louise Monaghan's account of her struggle to save her daughter's life. The conflict between faiths here is exposed on a level that will shock many people who are unaware of the life women lead under Sharia law.
on 24 July 2016
It's a story about a mother trying to rescue her kidnapped daughter from abusive husband. Really shocking book, but I enjoyed reading every page of it. Really easy to read and I lived every moment of it. Excellent holiday read - finished within 2 days.
on 14 January 2017
A great read. Couldn't put it down. What an amazing woman Louise is. What she went through throughout this book is unimaginable..
One person found this helpful
on 19 March 2013
Although, I admired her bravery and how she was able to rescue her daughther from her husbands family in Syria and how she successfully rescued and escaped from her violent husband and family. However, I do find It is unbelievable that she would want to return back to Cyprus, to live with her daughter. Surely her experience with her husband's abduction of their daughter and the truama she experienced whilst she escaped from Syria coupled with the worry her family in Dublin went through, I feel she would want to start a new life elsewhere, where her daughter would not be accessible to her husband.

Overall, I enjoyed the book.
4 people found this helpful
on 25 May 2018
Brilliant true story, Gripping from start to finish.
on 22 September 2017
A true story of a mothers battle and love for her child. Huge window into the cultural challenges of marriage between religions,and survival in an alien war torn country.
on 23 September 2016
Very readable. I felt like crying with her when she was finally back with her family. I'm surprised she risked moving back to Cyprus.