A Life Without Limits
Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 August 2017
An exceptional story. Chrissie Wellington doesn't feel that she was cut out for sports, in her childhood. The autobiography contained within this book begs to differ. It describes her life before triathlon and through to her 4th Ironman world championship; including raw details of the trials faced getting there.. The character of the book is unassuming and modest. There is also a nice chapter about some of the people who have, themselves, inspired Chrissie. An inspiring read and well worth reading.
on 30 June 2017
Inspiration and insight in equal measure .a real life super woman shows how determination and hard work can give you the life you deserve. Not just a book for triathlon junkies a book to inspire anyone
on 4 May 2012
This book is fantastic. It usually takes me many days. If not weeks to actually complete a book but this one was done and finished in 3 days. Chrissie is an extraordinary individual who clearly has one of the most focused mindsets insport. The book is inspiring and motivating. After finishing it I went for a run and had trouble stopping. I ran and ran and just kept thinking about what she says to herself. Ie "I can do it" 10 miles later and sore calves for a couple of days and yes I felt great. What a book what a person. Her list of achievements is difficult to comprehend given the number of injuries she seems to always be carrying. I did find it difficult to understand how she keeps beating her rivals when she is clearly never 100% fit. So there we go. Buy it and be inspired.
on 26 March 2012
Are you the kind of person who is driven beyond ridiculousness to keep going, keep aspiring, keep asking questions, keep pushing, keep exploring? Want to know why?

Read this book. For those of us who don't quite know ourselves as well as Chrissie obviously does it's a bit like having a torch shone into your mind. I'd never have described myself as driven particularly until I started identifying with some of the thought patterns and behaviours Chrissie described. The magic thing is, I know what to do with it all now. No triathlons for me but other things.

Psychology aside, this book can be brutal in places. It strips away societies 'mustn't talk about...' attitudes and talks about everything, eating disorders, bodily functions...but if you do any kind of exercise at all you'll know it's rarely always elegant. From exploring the world to exploring the inner mind, the book feels like going on a journey with a friend rather than someone you've never met. I imagine the author is quite a difficult person to keep up with and get to know but you find yourself realising that maybe the figures you see running up and down hills, along tracks or through sand dunes might be human after all. Might be just like us.

I've read this book in 3 days. I've never written a review before. It's ace. It's inspired me, comforted me, given me a focus.
3 people found this helpful
on 18 April 2012
Chrissie Wellington what an inspiration, this book is brilliant i loved it from start to finish, in fact i didnt want it to end. Chrissie is both hard working with a great personality if only we had more people like her in sport it would inspire so many people to get out there. she lives life to the full but you can tell she really enjoys everything she does. I would recommend this book even if you are not sporty its a great insite to how hard athletes train and how much is put into what they do. There is a little bit about times and splits but not too much that it becomes boring it gives you the idea how fast and how far. I now use a few of the tips and phrases in my training and find it really helps. This is a book i will read again and again. Thanks Chrissie this is a wonderful book, already looking forward to the next one.
on 24 February 2016
Great story about the Worlds greatest ever long distance athlete (in my view) Although now retired, she was achieved so much in a relatively short length of time. Never beaten in 13 Ironman events, breaking world records, and changing the views about women in this toughest of sports. Comes across as a tough, determined competitor, and a lovely compassionate human being who has a lot more to give beyond Triathlon. I suspect this might be seen as only the first chapter of her life.Great read, loved it!
on 16 February 2015
A great tale of drive and determination. Almost a 'reluctant hero': Girl from Norfolk does good. Chrissie paints a colourful picture of her journey through working life, time in Nepal and her falling into endurance racing and then triathlon. She introduces with warmth and respect many of the well known characters and heroes of Tri and Ironman. It's a good read by a multiple world champion and genuinely nice person.
on 29 July 2015
Really enjoyed reading about this amazing athlete. Found myself inspired and repeating her words as I did my own training. The book was recommended to me by a Tri-athlete who also found her story compelling. I found the book to be well written, easy to follow, and riveting as you learn of her amazing personal achievements in sport and beyond.
on 14 March 2012
If like me you are familiar with Chrissie Wellington's achievements or have an interest in triathlon, then you don't need me or anybody else to tell you to buy this book. For those of you who are not, then this book will take you on an honest and enlightening journey into the world of one of the most inspirational and successful athletes in history. Chrissie's experiences and interests outside of sport also make for a fascinating and thought-provoking read; her passion for development really shines through. Reading about Chrissie's achievements is nothing short of awe inspiring and goes to show that 'a life without limits' can be lived by us all. As someone who is interested in development (and, like Chrissie, a geography graduate) and taking on my first Ironman event later this year, this book is a reminder that anything really is possible. Buy this book and be inspired.
3 people found this helpful
on 16 September 2013
Chrissie Wellington is the most remarkable woman and thankfully, she wrote this autobiography that completely captures her awesomeness, and I use 'awesomeness' in the literal sense of the word.
Her achievements left me amazed and awe-struck; and like the humble person that she seems to be, she seems surprised of her own success too! Many of her philosophical thoughts were left imprinted on my mind after reading this book. She even inspired me to run a half-marathon which I completed by thinking of her achievements and her positive 'can-do' attitude that is embroidered throughout the whole book.
Whether you like triathlons or not, this book is worth reading just to be inspired to know that you can achieve anything you want to if you put your mind to it. The title of this book could not have been worded better and sums up the whole essence of this wonderful read.