on 24 June 2014
I know two people who have changed their lives by doing Alexander Technique - and by reading this book you can see why. George Bernard Shaw was one of the clients of Frederick Matthias Alexander when he changed, in three weeks, from being a nearly-crippled 80 year old to someone who stayed jaunty and active until he fell while pruning an apple tree at age 94. Alexander discovered that most of us gradually cripple our own systems (particularly by slumping over desks, forgetting how to breath and letting our shoulders go hunched with stress) and then wonder why we have back trouble and other problems. The author of this book was a driving instructor who discovered he habitually sat twisted round by 20% so that he could look at his pupils. Alexander Technique transformed his life and made him healthy. The Technique helps you relearn the postures and attitudes which are natural to you, and which you probably used as a child. By becoming more positive physically, people tend to become more positive in other ways. As Richard Brennan, the author, says: "Your posture is a direct reflection of who you are, or at least who you perceive yourself to be and without a doubt it can directly affect how others see and treat you."
on 1 October 2013
Really well written and easy to read. The book gives you an insight into the Alexander technique. It gives you pointers in using techniques. The only reason I have dropped a star is it keeps referring you to a teacher. The reason I wanted this book is because I have not got the capability of going to a class.
on 21 September 2015
A bit disappointed in this - insufficiently practical for me.
on 28 April 2012
A great introductory read to the Alexandra technique principles and its relevance to our daily lifes. What I gained from reading this book is that the Alexandra technique offers us not just hope to bring about the positive changes in our lifes, but the tools to do it.

Reading this book makes it clear that Alexandra technique offers a unique approach to self development. So many therapies encourage us to depend on a therapist for relief. Here is one technique that is not based on treatments but educating us to bring about fundamental changes in ourselves.
on 12 July 2015
I was looking for a self help book but this book just explains the basic principles and tells you to find a teacher. Not bad for a beginning but not practical enough.
on 4 October 2012
The book is an enticing introduction to the Alexandra technique. It addresses preconcieved ideas about posture and challanges you to think about your own use in daily activites. The photos simply illustrate the text. After just a few pages you will start to think about your posture in a very different way. Not to mention the furniture you use!

It is written for a wide audience. It covers key concepts in Alexandra technique but stays focused on practical applications which everyone can benefit from. It is interesting and thought provoking.The authors use of quotes from Chinese proverbs to Albert Einstein compels you to want to know more about this life changing technique.
on 28 April 2012
An absolute great book on the Alexander Technique. Found it very inspiring and refreshing to read. Richard Brennan takes all the mystery out of F.M. Alexander's work and makes it very clear and practical. An excellent book to introduce newcomers to the Technique, which gives experienced Alexander students and even Alexander Teachers an even deeper understanding of this most wonderful way of living. I have no hesitation in recommending Richard Brennan's book to anyone who is interested in improving their posture and quality of life.
on 19 February 2012
I am a teacher of the Alexander Technique and had a very quick skim through Richard Brennan's new book. What struck me very favorably are the following points:

1) Richard Brennan never loses sight of F.M. Alexander's work. It forms an integral part of the whole of the book. This is one of a few books on the Alexander Technique I have come across that does this.
2) The Author doesn't need to change Alexander's language. I have never understood why so many Alexander Technique teachers have a problem with Alexander's language. My view is that it is really quite straight forward and does not need to be adapted or translated. Richard Brennan's book is testimony to this.
3) The author doesn't go off into the esoteric (quite a few of the books on AT do - in fact surprisingly many!).
4) The book is very practical and clear when showing the applications of the Alexander Technique to everyday activities.

Just from this short glimpse, I feel that I could recommend the book to any of my pupils and colleagues without reservations.
on 2 June 2013
The book offers a great approach to improving posture through the principles of the Alexander Technique, and makes a compelling case why posture is important to our overall health and well-being. Lots of information and advice on chairs and shoes among other things, but especially on the deep changes that we need to go through ourselves to let go of the harmful tension that underlies poor posture. It's also a great introduction to the Alexander Technique in general.
on 10 March 2013
I found this book very helpful and was glad to find it listed a local Alexander Techniue teacher. The book itself helped me to make an improvement in my posture.