Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 22 September 2012
Because I am new to Scotland (and the UK) and wanted to get a garden started I've been looking for a good book on Scottish gardening. A friend suggested this one, so I checked this book out from the library as soon as it was available. After looking through the library copy for a few hours I went ahead and ordered the book from Amazon.co.uk.

The book is very well written, giving invaluable information regarding fruit and veg gardening in Scotland. I love the writing style, it is written in a conversational tone that teaches, informs, and gives a good giggle in places. The resources listed at the end of the book are very helpful. Very glad I bought this book, I will use it for years to come and will also recommend it to friends.

Very pleased with the SuperSaver delivery, too-I ordered on the 19th, was told to expect delivery by the 25th, but received the book today (22 Sept). Nice:)

UPDATE: 23 Sept 2013 - a year on from delivery, this book continues to be an invaluable resource! Yesterday our Sunday roast was made extra special by the just harvested potatoes from our garden - huge thank-you to the author:)
on 11 October 2012
This is the most wonderful book, full of good solid advice, and also inspirational photos of wonderful gardens around Scotland. Today I planted broad beans with dried chopped gorse to deter the mice, and set up a nice little sticks-and-string support for them, following its tips. It's fantastic to find a book written specifically for Scotland - and rather than being unsure of whether you can grow something this far north, you end up feeling glad you're not trying to grow stuff on Shetland! Besides being useful though, it's very well written, so you can sit and read it rather than just consult it. Highly, highly recommended for any veg gardener in Scotland. (I got my copy on a whim at the garden centre - it's much cheaper here on Amazon.)
on 2 August 2012
This a great book for anyone who grows fruit and vegetables in Scotland. I've found it to be an invaluable, well-researched resource when trying to decide what will grow and thrive in my part of the world (north east Scotland) in comparison with many other gardening books which try and cover (unsuccessfully in my view) all the UK. Not only is the text very informative, with lots of examples from growers from all corners of Scotland from Shetland to the Borders, it's written in a highly engaging manner, which makes this book a joy to read. Well worth every penny!
on 6 August 2013
I found this book by accident and it has become a regularly consulted volume on my gardening bookshelf. Immaterial of garden size and regardless of experience, Scots gardeners and growers will find something of interest in this volume. The species/cultivar recommendations are useful and effective, growing tips invaluable, explanations sound.

My only negative comment would be whether the author would consider giving more insights in two volumes - one focused on the history of Scottish growing and a separate guide for the growing advice. It has the feel of being rigorously edited - which is a shame - but this is a minor point.
on 30 December 2013
Bought this as a gift for a friend as I had this book and thought it was really good. Most other books give planting times etc for England where it is warmer. This book gives planting times specifically for Scotland which is great. Also names specific plants grown successfully in Scotland so you can choose eg the best kind of apple tree suited to the area. Great.
on 1 September 2013
Since moving to Scotland from Cornwall been meaning to try to grow more fruit and veg, but always been a bit put off by the often south england bias in most books. This however is a perfect guide for scotland with detailed local advice from people growing in scotland. A very easy readable style helps make this a joy to read. You almost feel you know the people who wrote and feature in the book.
on 20 May 2012
Once more, an essential book for the scottish gardener. Both basic information and experienced detail of growing in a potentially challenging climate. Even experienced growers will find something of use.
on 21 February 2013
I'd hoped to start growing fruit and veg and realised that I needed a bit of guidance about what's possible. This book definitely provides that and in simple language. I'll be using this to guide me as I start my self-support garden.
on 16 February 2013
This is a well-informed and very readable book which focuses solely on gardening in the challenging conditions which often prevail in Scotland. It contains lots of excellent advice on which varieties to grow, soil types, and position.
on 10 November 2014
Love this book as it's so much more relevant than most of the veg growing books that concentrate on the warmer areas of the south of England. It's well researched and entertainingly well written, most enjoyable and covers the many different regions and climates of Scotland.