Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Learn More Shop now Cloud Drive Photos DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop now Shop now Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 August 2013
Well designed and clear. This is an indispensable aid to Scottish Family History. I am a professional level genealogist and I would not want to be without this guide.
By the way NAS/NRS are to be applauded for keeping the Guide up to date with their own phenomenal progress in providing access to Scotland's archives.
on 12 March 2013
I have only just started looking at my Scottish ancestors and had already found one or two of the obvious websites - ScotlandsPeople and the Scottish Archive Network. My family are borderers, not highlanders, so the usual 'Trace Your Clan' websites are of little use to me.

This book is published by the National Records of Scotland, it includes details of how to get started on the internet and other resources. There are opening times/days for some institutions, plus an indication of what you may expect to pay (daily tickets or annual), whether you might need a reader's ticket or not.

I can only scratch the surface at what is included, but to give you an example; in the Births, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials section at the end after Burials(under Anatomy) they mention that some bodies may have been supplied to schools of anatomy and that registers of these bodies have been kept since 1842 as part of the records of the Ministry of Health. They then briefly explain how the registers are arranged and that they are not indexed. (These documents are not online yet.)

I would never have thought to look for this and the book is full of little useful suggestions that, even if you are not looking for a family member, would be genuinely interesting to look at.
on 1 July 2013
Great book, Fascinating. Joined new local group in Partick Glasgow where the staff are a great help. Once you start reading you can't put in down
on 6 February 2015
I have managed to cope with on line searchs for relatives in Scotland, but this book seems to add some flavour to the difficulties! My real roblem is that at some point those "Scottish" ancestors were from Ireland, but try as I may I can't find out from where.
on 12 January 2014
This volume has proved to be a valuable additon to our geneological exploration. It is clearly written and very informative.
on 16 August 2013
Seems to be full of information, however have not fully used yet. Any help with Scottish records has to be good.
on 25 May 2014
For 1p!! Couldn't believe my luck. Just what I need to help me in my search to find my scottish ancestry. Arrived promptly and was in excellent condition so thank you very much. Woukd recommend this seller.
on 17 July 2014
Great book and useful hints and tips as I am researching our family tree.
on 15 November 2014