Where'd You Go, Bernadette
Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 October 2017
First, the writing was formidable. The one star review is because I hated the story. The book from start to end reinforced my observation of American culture: ego (intelligence) doesn't positively correlate to happiness. My brain was screaming at the anxiety ridden, judgemental mother: meditate. The TedTalk father who's company was acquired by Microsoft made my skin crawl for lack of backbone. The only emotion for the daughter I had was pity. Both that she suffered a heart condition to lead a meaningless life and that she thought higher of her mother than she should. If this were real life she would surely enter adulthood slipping in and out of relationships with people who needed her care.

Positives. Strong plot. The descriptions of Antarctica were incredible. The writing style tremendous.
on 10 April 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is easy to read, funny and the story is different-as in not the typical love our crime story, but a story about a crazy family and their rather normal problems.

It is the right read to relax or for a holiday, I definitely recommend it.
on 29 September 2017
I read this because it was said to perfectly embody what a bestseller reads like. Yet it seemed to do anything but. I liked the savvy and funny Microsoft references. But even those stopped halfway through. Who is the main character? All the characters seem unpleasant and utterly self involved. So perhaps we are rooting for the child. But the whole thing is such a jumble of clever bits and ridiculous plot turns that I struggled to get started and only finished it to see if somehow things magically got better. They didn't. Suddenly the book finished.
on 28 January 2017
We laughed! Quite a lot. I like the story structure.
on 23 December 2016
I'm glad I finished this book but have to say I found the first two thirds hard going. Probably a book that would be better read in large chunks rather than s a bites.
on 14 November 2016
One my favourite books of all time. Loved every single sentence!
on 28 April 2017
An excellent look at the impact a mental break down can have on a person. So many losses the house & miscarriages. The humour was very well written, her observation of how people react in times of stress was so true to life.
on 4 October 2017
Really enjoyed this but felt the ending was hurried
on 10 July 2017
Actually a lot funnier than I was expecting. An unusual and enjoyable read.
on 3 January 2015