VINE VOICEon 15 January 2016
Ann Widdecombe is a woman that I have always admired. She appears to be principled but also be able to have some fun - what a great combination.Her appearance on Strictly has given her some recent fame, putting her in the public eye in a surprising way. Sensibly, she has used this experience in the name of her autobiography which will attract a wider range of reader than a more conventional political title.
The book is written in a straight forward manner with the author being very clear about her opinions. She does not care if she is seen as being old fashioned, she never patronises the reader and always takes the time to explain her views.
Her writing does have something of Enid Blyton about it, particularly at the beginning when she is describing her childhood. I thought the book could have been strengthened by more reference to world events during her upbringing but I guess she just didn't see anything outside of her life.
I've got very little in common with Ann but it is a credit to her writing that I was able to empathise with many of her decisions. She had many options not available to me and I found the reasons behind her choices interesting.
As her political involvement grows AW talks more about the politics of the time. She portrays herself as a very moral person who manages to keep her values in a potentially immoral world where power threatens to take over.
The author is right when she says that Parliament is a mystery to most. She is a big supporter of the processes which she explains well whilst also dispelling a few myths. Parliament changes slowly so, whilst this book covers the last 30 years in politics, it would be worth reading just to understand more of the mechanics.
I don't think that AW is ever deliberately controversial although she is never afraid of giving her views and quickly learnt how the media can twist what you have said. She also appears never to have hidden behind the media and will always justify what she has said.
The whole book is very easy to read and I was surprised how her absolute love of life comes across so strongly. I will recommned this book to many people - if you don't agree with the politics it might be responsible for raising the blood pressure but will provide an intelligent view of many high profile political stories along with a peak into the mind of Ann Widdecombe
on 19 January 2014
I always admired Ann Widdecombe and looked forward to this book. However as with other political biographies I have read it became a bit tedious although in some instances surprising. I was surprised at how she covered the Iraq war which must be the biggest and most important event in a generation so briefly and her comments on the issue of child abuse by Catholic priests actually shocked and disappointed me. I was also surprised that she seemed to like Jack Straw.
6 people found this helpful
on 11 May 2015
I am currently reading this and find it very interesting. I have read other (fictional) books by Ann Widdecombe and I enjoyed those too, I like her writing style. This book would not be to everyone's taste but it is fascinating to anyone who likes a good autobiography and some inside knowledge of the political scene. I would recommend it.
on 14 February 2018
You can almost hear Ann,s voice telling these lifetime memories....such a fab read
on 11 September 2013
Whether you are politically minded or not this is a book well worth reading, there is a lot more
to Ann than her political career, for instance her previous employment with the Sunlight Soap
Company on Merseyside, her relationship with her one time boyfriend and her struggle to obtain
a seat in various areas to start her stint in politics. she relates her time at various schools both
in the UK and other countries due to the fact that her fathers occupation with the Admiralty.
She is a very clever and educated lady who doesn't suffer fools gladly! I would certainly recommend
this book to everyone who does not read 'chick lit'
on 24 April 2015
Ann comes across as a very intelligentt, knowledgeable and thoroughly nice person, but I found her writing to be quite dry. She touched on various incidents in her political history but didn't go into enough depth, or carry the subject through, to keep me interested.
One person found this helpful
on 10 June 2016
Love Ann Widdecombe. Her books are always good reads. Some of the political bits are boring but the other parts specially the Strictly parts are really interesting
on 9 September 2013
I bought this book for my wife who is part way through reading it and she is loving it. Many thanks for speedy delivery and careful packaging, well done. Many thanks from "feekie"Strictly Ann: The Autobiography
on 9 July 2013
Always been a fan of "Widdy" and now I've read her autobiography even more so. Read it in three days and was sorry when I reached the last page. Wishing her many years of happy and fun-filled retirement.
on 15 May 2017