Customer reviews

on 24 May 2014
Beautifully written opening part of the North Beyond, Numinrantoro introduces us to new characters and countries in a fantasy world that is refreshingly devoid of pseudo-Tolkien paraphernalia, and instead focuses on complex, believable humans. The pacing is excellent, skipping elegantly through important episodes in an extended time-span. Strong female characters are reminiscent of Ursula K. le Guin. This is just beautifully-written, understated fantasy dealing with adult themes without resorting to the horrific gore of other recent fantasy heavyweights. I would highly recommend it to readers both older and younger, and especially to people like me who have been waiting for a really GOOD addition to the genre.
on 23 March 2013
A really good read. An unusual and imaginative story, well told. Good to know that there's plenty more to come.
on 10 July 2013
TNB Part 1 gripped me from the very beginning. Beautifully written, the pace is excellent from a gently flowing lazy river leading to a crescendo of rapids which leave you gasping for breath with satisfaction like a surf junkie having crested an onslaught of waves. The characters are described so clearly that they quickly lure you in - I was soon found wanting of Ardeth's and Fosseiro's cosy kitchen. To sample Fosseiro's delicious cuisine (you can almost taste it), swim in the crystal clear waters and lie in the lush grass. I found myself longing for the simple traditions that can be all too easily forgotten in our lives today where the TV, internet and social media replace live conversations, storytelling and general problem solving. The author lets us draw our own conclusions as to which characters we will identify or sympathise with and rather than lay their hearts bare, we learn more of the characters' traits and depths as the book progresses. An excellent book, but worthless without parts 2, 3 and 4 as I guarantee that once you've whet your appetite with part 1, you'll be desperate to dive into part 2!
A marvellous book which would lend itself beautifully to a 3 or 4 part film - move over 'The Lord of the Rings'..!
on 4 June 2013
Numirantoro is a compelling read and a powerful introductory volume to The North Beyond. The significance of the intriguing first chapter was revealed to me only in the closing pages and has made me very eager to read the next volume. Regardless of whether time is past or future, whether this is fantasy or history, I became absorbed, rapidly and completely at ease, into the lives of the inhabitants of the Earthborn of Caradward and Gwent y'm Aryframan and their many strengths and frailties, leading them ineluctably towards an acrimonious state of war. The almost luminous Numirantoro and Arymaldur co-exist with the Earthborn but imperceptibly reveal their superior, Starborn origins, at once setting them apart by their actions and qualities, but also drawing them irresistibly together. I would thoroughly recommend this an engrossing, beautifully written, read. Two dimensions, one world: one dimension two worlds? I can't wait to find out more in Maesrhon.
on 19 July 2013
I have just finished Numinrantoro and enjoyed it immensely. The author has created a wonderful world, full of fascinating characters and customs. The book is beautifully written and so easy to read that in my spare time I haven't been able to put it down. I can't wait to get stuck into Books 2, 3 and 4 to see how the story continues. I have a feeling that I'll be left wanting more, even when I get to the end!
on 3 April 2013
Can't wait to read Volume 2! A magnificent first novel which grabs you from the start. The characters are amazingly well drawn in a setting that captivates the reader. I took it on holiday and just couldn't put it down! Thank goodness there's more to come!
on 7 March 2013
I really enjoyed reading this book which is the first of a four part series. It is very well written and its plot keeps you on your toes. Definitely worth reading, I'm going on to buy the next instalment. Throughly recommended.
on 24 August 2013
This is a very readable first volume of four, introducing the Earthborn and the Starborn, and The North Beyond now has its own Facebook page at [...]