Customer reviews

This has been on my to-read list for a while now, so I thought I should finally get around to reading it.
The cover of this book hints at what is going to be inside. With soft watercolours, a tiny girl stands beside the hand of a corpse. This confirms that this tale is not for younger readers, unless you are prepared for the nightmares that may ensue!
The story is quite unlike anything that I have read before, in the sense that it truly does creep up on you. There are suggestions throughout the tale of just where this is going, but these are subtle. The artwork, which is really quite beautiful, has the effect of drawing you into the tiny world that the characters inhabit. And, what a strange world it is. But what seems to be the 'moral' to this tale is that kindness can come before great evil, perhaps even that kindness often goes on without any true recognition, or reward. So, whilst you may think this is some kind of graphic fairy tale, you realise that this is not a tale to share with children.
3 and a half stars.
on 20 March 2017
oh my goodness this was a rather dark book but I did enjoy the read, warning this book is definitely not for children as you may expect from the front and back covers.
The ending was a much deserved twist and if your into cute things and macabre things joining hands you may enjoy this graphic novel!
on 20 March 2017
Beautifully disturbing....in story and art. <3
For the more macabre fairytale lover.
on 21 May 2017
I loved this dark fairy tale. One of the best graphic novels I have read.
on 21 January 2015
Ya, what she said!
My boyfriend bought this home from our favourite comic book shop in Nottingham (Page 45, check it out) with orders to read it immediately and strict instructions not flick through (apparently that spoils it).

I did as I was told and... wow. What a strange little thing he brought home.

I say little, as it follows a group of tiny people as they climb out of [something disturbing which I won't spoil here] and start to make a life for themselves in the wilderness. We follow Princess Aurora as she tries to recreate a civilised society in a place that is far from that.

It started beautifully, almost twee in fact, as Aurora entertains the Prince at her house but this quickly dissolves as something drips from the ceiling and seems to consume them completely. But they survive and find themselves starting life anew. After this, the story got a little confusing sometimes, as it jumps quickly between characters. This took a some getting used to, but I soon found it wasn't always telling a linear story: more like snippets of events.

And what horrible snippets they can be sometimes! There are some very disturbing images in this book, so I definitely wouldn't recommend it for younger readers. That's where the beauty in the book lies: cute, almost cartoonish characters drawn next to shocking scenes of violence and gore.

I've had some debates with my partner over what this is about, but ultimately it screams to me of a Lord of the Flies type story: ultimately, man is evil and, whatever order we try to keep in nature soon turns to chaos. We see this when Princess Aurora throws a party for their new woodland neighbours, and is upset when they have no table manners, snatch food and piss on the table.

I expected a little more resolution or climax at the end. I think it could take a few more reads of this to fully understand it. But overall I'd recommend this to read if you're a fan of Alice in Wonderland or Lord of the Flies type stories, and have a strong stomach for gore and the downright disturbing!
This is a stunning book - the beautifully painted pages make it one of the best looking comics I own, and I've collected French, American and Japanese comics artists for 30 years.

Usually I'm not really a fan of painted comics - often it results in a heavy-handed look that's artistically inferior to dynamic pure cartooning. But here it works - mostly because Kerascoet (A French husband/wife team) knows when to go for a beautiful realistic look, and when to use cartoonish characters.

As for the story - it's just brilliant. This is a very dark book - the art looks cute when you thumb through the pages, but make no mistake this is not a book for kids. This is like David Lynch and Hayao Miyazaki collaborating on a dark update of "Lord of the Flies" featuring fairy tale characters. And yes, there are flies here. And.... not a rotting pig head. It's something worse..... And don't expect everything to be explained - the narrative deliberately leaves things out.

The book should appeal to people (like me) who get off on cuteness and pure darkness played up against each other. And fans of David Lynchian graphic novels like Charles Burns' "Black Hole" and "Exed Out" and Chester Brown's "Ed The Happy Clown".

I'm happy to hear that this has reached the New York Times bestseller lists (probably due to Internet-savvy 'gothic' types sharing art samples online) - it deserves to be a future classic.
on 20 March 2014
This is a fantastical, disturbing comic story which reminded me a lot of Raymond Brigg's "When The Wind Blows", simply for the emotional punch it delivers.

This book will really stay in your head for a good long time after reading it. A classic graphic novel as soon as it was published.
on 11 March 2014
Love this book. The cover is almost David Lynchian - a familiar looking kid-safe fairy tale image with the jarring element of a corpse's hand. Even more disturbing when you dig into the book and find out who owns that hand, and how the characters you encounter (including the main character, Aurora, pictured on the cover) aren't the sweet little darlings you'd imagine they would be.

This is probably one of the darkest graphic novels I've read in a long time, no mean feat for something that at first glance looks like it should belong on your children's bookshelf rather than yours (and I'd urge parents to stash this one away from their kids, unless they want to deal with the nightmares for weeks afterwards).

No spoilers but the ending will have you shouting "YAY!" and "Oh my gawddddd that's vicious" at the same time. Do not miss this, it's fantastic! Full review on daddyafterdark.blogspot.com
on 6 October 2016
Beautifully drawn and dark tale that revolves around a group of very small humans that seek refuge in the unforgiving wilderness often meeting violent and untimely deaths. This story is partly a reflection on human nature, how we can be so affable and nice on the surface but also apathetic and cold. A pretty disturbing tale of greed, jealously and the indifference of other's wellbeing and lack of unity set in a beautiful and unforgiving world. This book is NOT for children, you have been warned.