Customer reviews

Tom Gauld is such a fantastic cartoonist. I find his work aesthetically pleasing, funny and clever. There is literally nothing I don't like about his work, and this book is a perfect example of why I love him so much. I particularly love the Shakespeare on the moon cartoon and the Secret Gang Tattoos, but there isn't anything here I don't like. It's one of those books I've annoyingly shown to everyone who has passed by as I've been reading it. I've been forcing people to sit down with me and enjoy the work too. It's such a fine thing to own.
on 4 June 2016
My daughter started reading this to me in the car after we collected it from our post box. Even without seeing the wonderful drawings I loved the humor of the pigs on the farm cartoon and it had me laughing straight away. Anyone who loves reading, sci-fi or random humour will appreciate these comics which have appeared every week in the Guardian. I also had fun spotting a 6th mistake in the Penguin cartoon (the box is the wrong way up) and which was the only bottle of drinkable wine in the cellar. We might also play the Lost in Venice board game! My two daughters aged 8 and 13 also read the book and loved the artwork.
on 27 April 2013
The brilliantly titled "You're All Just Jealous of my Jetpack" is a collection of Tom Gauld's strips for The Guardian newspaper most of which are humourous takes on literary topics. The title itself is an observation that literary books tend to look down upon genre novels, especially sci-fi, even though they can be as important, and more often than not more imaginative, than general fiction.

The book has a strip per page and the excellent strips far outweigh the lesser ones. "Mister Victorian Novel" was hilarious as was "Errors in Dan Brown's new novel", and "5 errors in the Martin Amis cartoon". Gauld mixes clever commentary on art and literature with wit and a great sense of humour to create excellent comics. I could go on with the best comics I liked in this book - the Fiction Police, Book Cover Design is Easy, Inspector God Omniscient Detective - but I'll just say, if you enjoy comics that are funny and tend to focus on literature, you'll get a lot out of this book.

Tom Gauld's an excellent cartoonist, check out his great book-length comic "Goliath" from last year, if you enjoyed this.
on 29 May 2013
A simply outstanding collection of Tom Gauld's off the wall musings on everything, in one appealing volume. The Owl and the Seasick Pussycat, in particular, is sublime. Completely wonderful.
on 30 October 2013
Tom Gauld is the best cartoonist of our generation. Discuss.
This is superbly crafted and weighted to hit between high and low-brow. Right in the middle.
Made me laugh out loud, and so addictive I had to ration myself on holiday. I have bought five for Christmas presents.
on 7 August 2013
The quality of this book was amazing and the comic strips are very amusing if you're into literature. The pages were glossy and thick and the binding was excellent. Would make a lovely gift.
on 18 September 2013
Tom Gauld's strips convey intellectually engaging messages through a combination of wording and drawing style which has no equals: neat, concise, and efficient yet unbelievably expressive!
on 12 December 2014
As described, thank you.
on 27 January 2014
I believe that Tom Gauld is one of the finest comic cartoonists working today. His peculiarly English mix of social satire and surrealism has me in paroxysms of laughter every time I read his stuff. (That's POLETIRHS for txt gnrashun rdrs)
on 11 July 2016
Tom Gauld's cartoons are very witty, focusing on a collision between the banality of everyday life and the established idioms of literature. If you're not a bookish type it will probably not be so much fun. My guess is that those who give this a low rating don't read much.

One complaint. The word for covetousness is "envious", not "jealous". I know, there's alliteration with "jetpack", but it's still the wrong word.
Even Homer Simpson knows that. Tsk tsk, Tom (and your publisher!)