on 13 March 2017
Handy little guide with good descriptions and clear photographs. The only thing that stops it getting 5 stars is that in the Kruger Park we kept running into species that were not in the book. Still for a pocket field guide it is hard to beat.
on 4 June 2017
Looks fine
on 5 March 2014
My husband is an ecologist and as an animal scientist myself I often accompany him on trips to Africa. I must admit that birds are not my strong point (understatement of the year) however over the last five years I've slowly started to pick up the skills required using his traditional bird books that have drawings rather than images. This brings me to what I feel is the main advantage of this book. The photographs! As a total amateur birder I find it much easier to ID birds from photos. I know twitchers everywhere will be screaming at the screen about detail etc etc however seeing the actual bird in an image has been far more useful to me in six months than similar books with drawings. The book is easy to use and small which is handy on field trips. I would recommend for anyone just starting out with their birding or anyone that prefers clear glossy photographs
on 25 August 2013
Just recently returned from a holiday safari in South Africa/Swaziland. This book may be small but it was very useful for the uninitiated bird watcher. To my surprise is helped me ID about 99.9% of the population of bird life...and believe me I saw some rare birds. I took it with me to hides and on hikes......it was small enough to fit in my pocket for quick reference. So glad I had it with me.
on 8 June 2013
Bought this for my brother in law who's going to visit his son in South Africa and was told to bring his binoculars and a bird book. He's thrilled with it. It's clear, precise and small enough to be practical.
Lets hope he sees the birds when he's there!
on 16 July 2013
Needing to conserve weight in luggage,this handy guide provides small photos of the bird species of South Africa with location maps. A handy guide to pop into a pocket.
on 26 October 2016
Managed to identify every bird we wanted which is very good as we're definitely not experts. The more we used it the more we realised how much useful information is given in the limited space assigned to each bird. This extra information such as habitat & description of bird sound helped us eliminate & identify. I also noticed that it was the book used by some of the eager bird watchers that we 'spotted' during our trip. Very glad we took it with us.
on 28 July 2014
Part of a gift for my grandson. Very informative little book, great glossy pictures. Very pleased.
on 24 September 2014
I purchased this book after I read some reviews about it. I am not disappointed with it, great size looks informative . Only time will tell as I am taking it with me when we go on holiday after Christmas.the photos and descriptions of the birds shown in the pocket guide look great. Can't wait to use it. Excellent price also.
on 20 February 2015
Received the book very promptly. The size is perfect for taking on a Safari with grandsons in Botswana later this year.Illustrations are excellent and descripions should help us all get the most from our trip. Many thanks Brenda Davies