Customer reviews

Hamburger Gourmet
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 24 September 2014
I've recently moved into a new home and have wanted to get better in the kitchen. I am a big fan of burgers but had ran out of ideas with recipes. The book is beautifully presented and the layout and instructions are easy and clear. I am yet to try making my own buns but have started trying the burgers. So far I have only made 3 but all of them were easy to do and tasted incredible.
on 25 January 2015
Nice ideas but I thought it would go better in depth for different patties etc. Has a good selection but each variation is basic. Shame because about a quarter of the books thickness is the hard cover.
on 16 January 2014
Great book, daughter loves trying out the recipes on her partner who seems to be enjoying the experiments so far!
on 27 April 2016
I bought this book not expecting much from it. But boy was I wrong this book is simply brillant every recipe is totally different. I also have to say the book is well layed out and the attention to detail is wonderful. I love it and look forward to testing these recipes out on my boyfriend who simply adores burgers. I would say it's worth a buy.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 29 August 2014
I’ll start by saying that my peeps love this book. They like burgers and they love the recipes from this book that I have road tested (hence the four stars).

However, from the cook’s perspective, it seems like an awful lot of effort – and no small expense on ingredients – for something that looks like a straightforward end product.

Much of the effort goes into making the buns. The recipe produces sweetish, brioche like buns. They do taste good but tend to be a bit liable to crumble as you eat them, yet feel a bit doughy in the mouth. Perhaps it’s just that I am used to a drier, bready bun but these buns require a lot of time and effort for something that doesn’t feel quite right.

The burgers themselves seem to be nothing more than pressing meat together and hoping it sticks. It does, and it is nice to be given permission to undercook the beef. We all like that. But the burgers themselves tend to lack flavour as they are not seasoned.

The differentiation is in the garnishes, sauces, relishes and cheese. It is all quite straightforward, but the pressure is created by having to get everything to come together at the same time. There’s a lot of banging pots (don’t expect to have many clean pots left at the end of the process) and assembly can be quite fiddly – especially for a family of five. Most of the flavours work well, but the recipe for blue cheese sauce comes out very runny and you’ll only need a fraction of the quantity. Many of the recipes also seem to require some exotic ingredient that will end up with running around town in despair – like an episode of The Apprentice.

I half wonder whether this book was ever intended to be used as a cookbook, or whether it was actually just an advert for the Hamburger Gourmet restaurant to show how much effort their burgers take. Of course, given that the challenge is in doing many things at once, having a fully staffed kitchen would make things much easier. I have found myself starting to cut corners (e.g. buying ready made pesto) and once you start doing that, you might as well be designing your own burger combinations.
on 8 January 2014
Bought for my husband who likes a BBQ and burgers!! It's the only thing he does cook!! He loves this book. Within a week we've already had burgers for dinner. Like all the little extras too. Like how to make buns and relishes etc- secretly I want to have a go!
on 12 April 2015
This book is great! I love the photos and illustrations throughout. The book is broken down into sections such as mixed meats, pure and veggie. There are also relish and sauce recipes and guidance on how to prepare the patties with meats and seafood.
on 9 February 2014
Contemporary and attractive cover with superb contents! If you love hamburgers you will love this book. It features many different and exciting recipes to create hamburger feasts!
on 8 June 2016
As a book, the content is good and there are some good quirky recipes, but as a kindle book, it's really not great - very disjointed and bit scattered.
on 9 July 2013
Amazing pics & surprisingly easy recipes.
Great value for my kitchen library.
I do recomend!
Gonna turn you into a chef.