on 20 May 2017
Good real stories about MS, inspiring to read.
on 14 July 2013
A fantastic read for me, as I have multiple sclerosis and am following the Overcoming Multiple Sclerosis (OMS) program by Prof Jelinek for the last 18 months. I could relate to many parts of the stories in "Recovering from Multiple Sclerosis".

It is so heartening to read that symptoms and disabilities for these people have waned and eventually disappeared after several years on the OMS program. I, too, am going to recover and be better than I was before. I know it's just a matter of time and persistence.

It is noteworthy that two of the people whose stories are told in the book, are doctors with MS.

Fast food will forever "smell like wheelchairs" to me!
on 24 June 2013
If you have a diagnosis of MS then this is a great book that confirms that you are on the right path and strengthens your resolve to continue along it. It is great to be able to learn of these journeys and compare them to your own, knowing that life will only improve and change for the better. Rachel, 14 months along my own path to recovery.
on 4 July 2013
Well I have now read the book "Recovering from Multiple Sclerosis" - it has left me with very mixed feelings. First all 12 stories in the book are of people with RRMS. The outcomes after a change of lifestyle, diet etc have them all back at work, or running lots of kilometres etc. there is one sentence at the back of the book in a chapter called Recovery sub headed "Ride on Fearlessly", which refers to progressive MS and that simply says "Ordinary people can recover, and this is possible even after many years with the illness, even with progressive MS." All of which is quite believable, and I believe we all have our own individual journeys and stages of the disease and any sort of recovery will be different for each of us. But I would have liked to see some stories of people with progressive MS and how they see recovery and how it can be attained. I actually believe I am doing all I can for me, and this has only happened after joining this group. My recovery will never be like the examples in the book but then I am not them, I am me.

At one point while reading the book, my daughter said I was taking it all too personally and started defending myself when I couldn't relate. I think she is right.

My conclusion is that the book hasn't really helped me and its just a good job I read it on a good day. The chapter at the back called "Recovery" makes a lot of sense but doesn't tell me anything new or tell me to embrace anything I am not already doing, which, in a way is good. It means I am on the right track with my own recovery process. I will keep doing what I am doing, as each story focuses very much on diet and lifestyle, which is what I am concentrating on.

The stories for me, and maybe I was reading them with a "Lazarus,take up thy bed and walk" literal attitude didn't help me at all. In fact I was left feeling a little disheartened, a little bit of "Im failing" , but the sensible part of me knows that recovery takes a long time and will be subtle and different for everyone.

I just wish I had known years ago that i had MS instead of being fobbed off with "you're just anxious and stressed". 30 years later I get a dx and I feel as though I have been thrown in at the deep end and have desperately to learn how to swim.
33 Comments| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 January 2015
This book was for my husband who has read it with great interest and found it inspiring.
on 20 January 2015
This book is not only slightly misguided, it's wilfully posturing as a path to 'recovery' from a condition that has no known cause or cure. It is the modern day equivalent of 'Snake Oil' being sold to the gullible as a panacea.
I was diagnosed with Primary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis last year, and a misguided but well meaning friend gave me this book.Whilst I have no issue with a beneficial diet being primarily fresh fruit and vegetables, I take umbrage at the implication that living and owning a small holding 'Down Under' (as most of these case histories do), or attending the authors retreat in the Yarra valley ( though I'm sure preferential rates are available), is the best path forward through what is an unpleasant and utterly debilitating condition.
Alarm bells started ringing for me when I realised that at some point in every case history here, the person concerned comes across 'Taking Control of Multiple Sclerosis', the first book by Mr/Professor Jelinek .
Self-promotion and new age marketing aside, being so laissez - faire with a condition as serious as Multiple Sclerosis is nothing short of reckless and dangerous.
My main issue here is that most of these cases suffer with Relapsing Remitting MS, a form that can appear to 'vanish' leaving the sufferer apparently 'normal' for a year or so. The condition however, returns, usually becoming Secondary Progressive MS, a far more unpleasant manifestation.
What I'd really like to see is a follow up on these people.
And preferably one that does not constantly extol the virtues of Mr Jelineks first book 'Taking Control Of Multiple Sclerosis', or his 'Retreat' in the Yarra valley.
on 4 August 2013
just the kick I needed to cope with my own MS, has spurred me on to try the diet to see if it really makes a difference.
on 17 May 2014
Very inspiring read. I particularly liked the last part which I think ends the book well. I have read Overcoming MS book too and now I'm going to go back to re-read that.
on 25 September 2013
This book is a must read for anyone who wants to recover from MS. For me it is already a life changing experience and I hope for many people that they can do the same. All stories in this book are inspiring and very encouraging - let there be more success stories.
on 6 June 2014
excellent book, well written, liked the overall positive approach backed up scientific knowledge. Also very good for info when various problems arise.