Customer reviews

on 3 September 2017
Good
on 13 August 2017
Very pleased with my order, thank u!
on 26 March 2017
Product was well received in very good condition
on 8 October 2013
Finally got me a copy of Jonathans book. Its pricey because it is hardback and beautifully put together. To me, its well worth the price! So at last a Guyanese cook book! Including our National dish Pepperpot! I too grew up hearing the love story of his parents, it was utterly romantic! Jonathan has brilliantly and lovingly put together story of his parents, family and their dear friends amongst the recipes. I haven't left my kitchen as I indulge in cooking the genuine food of my youth. I had totally forgotten the abundant use of peppers and generous helpings of sugar, but I didn't care. Creole chicken finally confirmed what I had omitted in my previous attempts, now rectified. Stewed guava pie, and pineapple tart were made in days of acquiring this book. I have made Mittai, an practically cried. You can cut down on the amount of hot peppers used but this is what's key to the "spice and bite" of Guyanese food. I have decided this is the book my children should have so they will know how to cook their mothers ancestral food. So off to buy several more copies.
on 8 August 2014
I was very curious to explore the food of the Caribbean and thought The pepper pot club would be a good place to start. The Pepperpot Club has exceeded all my expectations. it is a wonderful book packed with great recipes from tangy, creamy Stewed Chicken to deliciously sweet and doughy Portuguese pancakes.There are recipes to keep you smiling all year and recipes like Jerk Chicken and BBQ Jerk Ribs that makes this an excellent resource for a perfect summer BBQ.Good honest food with complex flavours without complicated methods or obscure ingredients. I would recommend this book to cooks with little or lots of experience. There are plenty of Photographs of the food and some wonderful family photos too.

In addition to the food there are the stories of Jonathan Phang's childhood and family history. It's as much an autobiography as it it a cookbook.An excellent read aside from the food.This book will bring me year round joy. Buy it and enjoy the journey too!
on 18 June 2013
This is an absorbing family history as much as a cookbook. Illustrated with food photography in all the colours of the Caribbean as well as loads of poignant family pictures, every page drips with Jonathan's combined love of food and family. It intertwines personal stories about relatives and friends with the food he cooks.

His greatly-missed parents came from Guyana, which is a country of many races and influences; this is reflected in the range of exotic recipes you'll find in this beautiful book. And as the title suggests, a liberal use of pepper sauce makes these unusual West Indian dishes just right for adventurous cooks who like it spicy!
on 11 May 2017
I wouldn't bother. I wanted a cook book, not a life story. Recipes weren't inspiring. Never heard of the author, picked it up in a charity shop and very surprised at the real cost.
on 29 May 2013
This refreshingly different cook-book is both a memoir and a delightful collection of recipes. It is a unique and deeply personal trip into the author's life ,full of stories and occasions centred around food.
Packed with wonderful family photographs and memorabilia the reader gets an insight into a large, extended and very affectionate family with a great love of feeding people( especially the author.)
The combination of so many ethnicities make this a very unusual and alluring feast of a book with exciting recipes and stories of their genesis.
I recommend this fabulous book as a really good read as well as a unique celebration of Caribbean cuisine. Sensational !
on 13 May 2013
Absolutely everything about this book is beautiful...The recipes, the pictures, the stories...it's much more than just a cookbook. It's clear that Jonathan really cooks from the heart and that good food has been at the centre of his family life for decades. There's a delicious array of dishes from Jonathan's Caribbean and Asian heritage, and every one of these dishes should be savored and shared with friends and family. Try the BBQ Jerk Chicken with a cold rum punch!

The TV series that accompanies the book is fantastic too! A must-see for any foodie!
on 6 May 2013
Pre-ordered the book while the TV series was running. I know the cuisine as taught to me by my wife, who is a Trini, and now have this lovely memoir of Jonathan's childhood with some recipes I don't know. This is my daily food and a world better than the bland stuff we remember from schools dinners, etc.