Customer reviews

on 7 July 2011
Although entitled 'The Cake Stall', this captivating book covers a much broader selection then just your ordinary cake stall products. With raspberry mint cordial and marinated mushroom recipes it could have easily been named 'The Market Stall'. The actually cake recipes vary from regular carrot cakes and popular whoopie pies to a more diverse selection including chocolate chiffon cake and my personal favourite, pistachio, white chocolate and honey French macaroons.

With the book being of Australian origin it naturally gives Australian measurements in the recipes, all which have metric conversions in brackets next to them.

This book may not be suited to absolute beginners as although the recipes and methods are extremely clear and easy to follow, in some cases instead of giving detailed instructions to do something, it will say 'Step 3. Make pastry' or 'Step 5. Make filling ' - easily understood by the more experienced baker they may cause slight confusion to those just starting out in their baking career.

With an alluring array of pictures to accompany the recipes you will find it most difficult to resist temptation to whip something up as soon as the post man brings it to your door.
on 9 July 2011
This is a fantastic book. I bake for two village fêtes in the summer and this year I have been able to produce some really stunning cakes etc simply by following the recipes in this book.

From traditional toffee apples and coconut ice through to "Whoopie Pies" via jams and cookies and savoury sauces and spicy chilli paste this book has step by step instructions to produce wonderful Cake Stall delights.

There is an excellent section on Christmas treats - everything from simple biscuits to various cakes and puddings - I see me using this lots for my family get togethers later in the year.

Step by step instructions along with fantastic illustrations make this my new favourite baking book. Ever wondered how to sterilise jars when making jam? Easy instructions are included. When a recipe states something like "Step 3: Make icing" at the bottom of the recipe there is a sub-recipe telling you how to make the icing - a neat way of not confusing the main recipe with something separate.

Brilliant.
on 25 October 2011
If you remember way, way back into the early nineties, when Neighbours was in its heyday, you may remember mention of the Lamington. This mystery item was talked about often e.g. Harold's made Lamingtons, these Lamingtons are delicious Charlene etc etc but I was never clear what they were. Until now. I was recently asked to review a recipe book from Australian Women's Weekly called The Cake Stall and, as the title suggests, it is a book full of things that you'd find at a bake sale or on a roadside lemonade stand - cute little recipes that look delicious. Among them, the fabled Lamington.

Now, I tried the recipe, eagerly wanting to taste this mystery treat and I have to say that they were a disaster - this, however, says more about my cooking than the recipe as I was limited for time so did rush the egg whisking, so they were not fluffy and nice, but more like a very thick omelette! What they should be is a light, fluffy, sponge square, coated in rich chocolate icing and coconut and I have since read some other reviews of this recipe which look like they have turned out quite well for other people, so it's clearly just me!

Another recipe which caught my eye was for whoopie pies - I will definitely be having a go at those - and there are also some lovely recipes for things that you could use as Christmas gifts, such as toffees, macaroons and candied popcorn.

All the recipes are easy to follow, with clear measurements and accompanied by beautiful pictures and a well-written method. It's definitely a great book to have on the shelves, especially for quick treats for the kids, of which there are many in the book.
on 20 July 2011
I saw this book in a book shop on the high street and loved all the recipes but held off buying it as i knew i would get it cheaper on amazon which i did,although the recipes use cups it also gives the metric version,its just a lovely mix of items that can be sold at any craft fair but i actually wanted this just for myself at home,the look and the feel of the book really makes you want to make nearly everything.
on 14 July 2011
I really like The Cake Stall. I started off by making the vanilla whoopie pies on page 26. The recipe was really easy to follow and the pies were really delicious. However, I only ended up with nine pies instead of the advised 16 (this is probably down to my measuring skills). I can't wait to try out the rest of the scrumptious looking cakes.

The Cake Stall is a must for anyone who wants to cook lovely looking cakes and needs an easy to follow recipe.
on 21 July 2012
The Cake Stall is a great book. It has a wide variety of recipes not just cakes. I used several of them for a recent school fair and they went down a treat. The recipes are easy to follow and the measurements in both cups and metric. I am looking forward to doing a few of the christmas recipes.I made the chocolate marshmallow treats which disappeared very quickly and have since played around with the recipe making variations with rum soaked cherries for the grown ups and mixed them up with apricots for the kids.
Brilliant book! It's frequently on the bookstand in my kitchen!
VINE VOICEon 29 May 2015
This is such a lovely book, full of great recipes. I don't do cake stalls, but I use this as a family baking book. Most of the recipes are for cakes and biscuits but there are also other recipes for things that you usually find for sale on a cake stall (drinkes, preserves etc). Highly recommended.
on 31 December 2016
Found this book very good. Glad it is also shown in grams. Tried a few of these recipes and all have come out well. Would recommend as well as cakes there is biscuits, jam, chutney and sweets.