Customer reviews

on 19 April 2015
A well written but sad story about loss and grief. A car accident changes everything. Isabelle, Charlie and a small boy, Sam. Their lives are never going to be the same again. This book charts their lives and how they deal with the consequences of that night.
on 2 September 2015
Absolutely excellent, keeps you gripped throughout and very easy reading, well worth the 99 pence that I spent.

Can thoroughly recommend this and will definitely read more from this author.
VINE VOICEon 4 August 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Two cars collide one foggy night and the lives of 3 people change forever. Isabelle, the driver of one of the cars, Sam, the young son of April (the other driver who is killed in the crash) and Charlie, Sam's father and April's widower.
"Pictures of You" follows the lives of Sam, Charlie and Isabelle as they pick up the pieces after the crash and look for answers to make sense of it all.
I don't want to give away any more about the storyline. It is well written and I found the characters totally believable and likable. I became immersed in their experiences which covered a range of emotions - sad, difficult, happy,angry, guilt ridden... All in all, a thoroughly enjoyable and moving story which I have no hesitation in recommending.
on 25 July 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
After a car crash which kills a young mum the survivors must move on in any way they can. April is killed while her son Sam survives, after their car is involved in a crash with Isabelle, who is leaving an unhappy marriage. While the premise is very sad, Sam and his dad Charlie are able to draw strength from the closeness of their relationship. When Sam develops a fascination with Isabelle Charlie tries to stop it, but eventually ends up falling for the woman who killed his wife. The emotions all three characters feel due to this situation are interesting and complex, and make for fascinating reading.

The moral dilemma is simplified for the reader as we learn more about April, and why she was on the road that day. The wife and mother Charlie had hoped she was gradually gets broken down to a lonely, damaged woman who handled her life the only way she knew how.

The book is a modern love story, of falling in love as a family when you're a single parent, and the three way balance required to make a relationship work when there is a child involved. The book balances the love story with exploring individual characters wants and desires, and how ultimately those wants lead to a great misunderstanding.

I really enjoyed this story, it is skilfully written with loveable but human characters. The author is adept at painting a clear and easily understandable narrative, with scenes which jump off the page.

The message this book left me with is that you should never leave something unsaid for fear of being embarrassed, as it just might be a mistake you don't even know you should regret. The ending seemed sad to me, and while I know in real life nothing ever wraps up neatly, I do like my fiction to do so.
on 26 April 2011
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I was expecting a standard "chick lit" book but it was so much more than that. I loved the characters and the way the story played out with plenty of twists and turns. I would thoroughly recommend this.
VINE VOICEon 6 September 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This book is made up of three main characters, Charlie, Sam and Isabelle linked together by one tragedy, that's all I have to say on the synopsis as it has been well outlined by other reviewers. Although the story was sad, I didn't find it too emotional or upsetting.

I thought the book was well written and flowed through so well I didn't want to put it down. As a result I read this book quite quickly. I agree with one reviewer who referred to some loose ends, but nothing which spoiled the overall novel. I have to say though I was really disappointed with the last few chapters of the book and particularly the ending, it just seemed to fade and left me feeling a bit cheated.

Having said that, if you want a book to read on the beach, or on a rainy afternoon, this will fit the bill. It's easy, predictable in places, but definitely worthy a read.
This book is wonderful, and here's why you should read it.

This book doesn't have just one main character, it has 3. Firstly, there is Isabelle, the lady who is the awful position of having run over and killed April, a woman who stopped in the middle of an impossibly foggy highway one morning. Second and third, we have Charlie and Sam, respectively April's widower and son, who are struggling to deal with their loss and not dealing with it especially well. The book begins with April deciding to run away, although we aren't told why, and proceeds to the awful car crash. This is well handled by Leavitt, and made for quite odd reading - you know what's coming and don't want to read too much, but at the same time, you simply have to know what's going to happen next. Leavitt really manages to set the scene so well, describing the setting, the mood, the characters so well that you can't help but love every word that's being written.

Firstly, I really felt for the character of Isabelle. She has killed someone accidentally, but of course is haunted by her actions, and repeatedly wonders what she could have done differently to avoid what had happened. You can feel her pain through Leavitt's writing, she really puts poor old Isabelle through the wringer yet it's completely believable. I did find her slight obsession with Charlie and especially Sam a little disconcerting because it seemed a bit odd, and I found it a little awkward at times, but as it progressed, it seemed to somehow make sense and was so well done by Leavitt. I just really liked Isabelle, and how she did eventually begin to realise the importance of life and putting herself first.

Secondly, we have Sam and Charlie. It was horrible to read their pain, especially Sam's, who just wants his mum. Charlie also seems bereft by the loss of his beloved wife, and the pair are clearly completely ruined over her death, and the secrets that are eventually revealed in time too. I really liked that Leavitt made Sam his own character, introducing a quite fascinating hobby for such a young boy, photography, and I think that added a new dimension to him and the story. Charlie was also a really well written character, well developed in terms of being a widower, a father and someone struggling with life as it is at the moment. You feel desperately sorry for him because of his situation, and due to that, we are all sympathetic readers, and care about the characters within.

It isn't an easy book to read by any stretch of the imagination. It deals with hard themes - death and loss, grief and pain, and all of these are of course emotive topics. However, if you go into the book expecting this, then you're just going to enjoy the read and what Leavitt has dished up for you. I found her writing was what really drew me in - she was so descriptive without being heavy, she writes easily across each of the three characters, and allows the story to jump between them with ease as well. I found myself utterly consumed by this read, and really didn't want to put it down. Yes, I shed some tears, yes it wasn't easy to read at times but it was worth it when I reached the end, because I felt like I had been on a journey with this book. I would certainly recommend this book to anyone who loves a really good story that is well written and really draws you in - you won't go far wrong with Pictures of You.
on 4 October 2012
From the moment I started to read this book I was gripped and throughout the book it didn't lose its momentum. The author tackles grief, guilt and the complex feelings of a child really well. The story is set in America, mainly on the Cape. It tells the story of two women and their families and a horrific accident that has a major impact on them all. The plot is strong and the main characters are well developed by the author. I would imagine women of all ages would enjoy this book, it would be an ideal holiday read.
VINE VOICEon 7 December 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
After two cars collide on a foggy road, two families lives are changed forever. April, a young mum is killed but her son Sam survives. The other driver Isabelle, blames herself for the crash. April's husband Charlie is left shocked and confused, not only for the death of his wife and grief for his son but from the news that April had a suitcase in the car. As Charlie tries to piece together what April was doing that day, Sam develops a fascination with Isabelle and they form a connection over their interest in photography. As the story develops their lives become even more intertwined and although the plot is a little slow moving in the middle I was still interested to see how it ended.
on 22 May 2013
A brilliant story of love and life and sacrifices that are made to help others even if it means heartache for yourself. An easy read