on 1 October 2004
Why isn't this book more widely known about? I stumbled on it in a bookshop and it is by far one the best books on motherhood I have read and even one of the best self-help books I've read. The chapter on anger alone is worth the purchase price. Every new mother and mother of young children should have a copy. It has helped me on a daily basis, especially when I've felt frustrated or isolated and both my under-twos have been crying at once. By the way, it's not a silly New-Agey spiritual book, but very practical and very informative. I'm not at all religious and am not a Buddhist, but since reading it I have become very interested in Buddhism. So, on top of all that, it's probably a great introduction to Buddhism too. Also, the author deserves praise for her honesty about her own tribulations sometimes as a mother. Thank you Sarah Napthali.
on 1 July 2017
Love this book!! Brilliant for a first time mum who's interested in Buddhism but even if you're not into Buddhism it's all relatable for developing coping strategies for stress.
on 21 May 2017
A beautiful inspiring and supportive book. Gave me clarity and a new way of looking at my life just when I needed it most. Highly recommended to any mothers struggling with their new role as mother and wife!
on 6 July 2014
I gave it to someone who needed it more.
on 20 June 2016
The first title from Napthali is Buddhism for Mothers: A Calm Approach to Caring for Yourself and Your Children. If you have encountered books about Buddhism previously and put them down after a few pages because they just seemed too esoteric for you, too out of touch with your life, then this is the book for you. The author is as ‘everyday’ as you will get for a Buddhist author. She lives in a normal family, concerned with normal, everyday living. Her husband is not a Buddhist, and her two young sons are as challenging as any children their age. But Napthali is different to most mothers in one way—she incorporates Buddhist practices into her life as a mother. She shares her experiences with the reader not in a ‘I am better than you, learn from me’ way, but rather in a ‘I found this works, you might find it helpful’ approach. Napthali writes in an engaging manner that is accessible to any reader. You could easily read this book in one setting, but it is also a resource you can dip in and out of. Even if you only take away one message from this book—that you are only human, and that’s okay and you can cope as a mother as human as you are—it will be worth it. I recommend this book to all mothers, Buddhist or otherwise, travelling or just dreaming about it.

Buddhism for Mothers of Young Children: Becoming a Mindful Parent (also published as Buddhism for Mothers with Lingering Questions) is such a fabulous book. I loved it so much I bought it for myself, and a copy for a friend. This book is great for so many reasons. Two of them stand out the most for me. Firstly, Napthali comes across as a normal mother—rather than some saintly buddhist icon, she is just a normal Mum of two normal boys, with a normal husband who doesn't quite get this whole Buddhist thing. Napthali admits to not always coping, not always knowing what to do with her boys—in other words, admits to being normal. The other point I really liked about this book is that it truly is a book for mothers —it looks at the whole experience of being, what it is to be a mother with a child rather than just how to cope with the child. For any mother who feels they are drowning rather than waving when it comes to raising a child/ren, I recommend this book. Her recommendations for being kind to yourself and remembering to enjoy life would also be an antidote to the whole 'what was I thinking?' feeling many of us get on those days when we are travelling and probably not enjoying the experience as much as we thought we would!

Buddhism for Mothers of Schoolchildren: Finding Calm in the Chaos of the School Years turns to issues that are of interest to Mothers (and Fathers too I would guess) of school aged children. Drawing on both her own experience as a mother of two boys as well as the experiences and writings of both practising Buddhists and famous writers, Napthali sets out a simple, non-guilt-inducing way of viewing being a Mother and how we relate not only to our children, but the outside world and, probably most importantly, ourselves. For unlike many other parenting books, Napthali focuses very much on how our own thoughts and how we treat ourselves is probably the most important part of being a Mother. Again, there are relevancies for travel - the experience of travel is often touted as being something we can 'learn' from, or something that can 'enrich' us and our children. But if we are not in the mindset to relate positively with the outside world, and therefore those we encounter on our travels, rather than just being wrapped up with 'us and ours', we are going to miss out on all the benefits that could come our way when we travel as a family. You don't need to be a Buddhist to benefit from reading this book - if you are a parent (or even if you are not a parent but deal with children in your daily life) you are sure to find inspiration and thought-provoking ideas when reading this book.
on 8 June 2010
Having spent the first few years looking for a book that tells me how children work, I have now found a book that understands how I work and shows me how I can manage myself as a parent and as a person. The best book on life I have read. You will not regret buying this.
on 23 September 2004
This is the best book I have read on general parenting and I would highly recommend this book to every mother and/or father.
The author uses humour, intelligence and empathy in communicating the daily challenges of being a parent. The book also covers relationships in general and those with close family members and friends.
Good parenting is not something that comes easily all the time and the author acknowledges this and offers ways to approach daily life that help both parent and child. Although the book discusses Buddhists ideologies it should not put off someone of another faith as it is really about seeing and dealing with your children in a kind and respectful manner whilst also giving you the tools to manage life in a less stressful way.
on 26 February 2014
I'm not usually into self-help manuals, but this has been an excellent find. It provides an interesting introduction to buddhism and I found it to be reassuringly non-judgemental. I have found many of its observations to resonate and it is single most useful book that I have read about parenting.
on 15 November 2008
this book is a must for every parent! Even if you have no interest in buddhism, its advice is straightforward and honest. There are so many baby and toddler books on the market and most of them change as new research comes to the fold. You cannot change this book because it is based on pure truth.
on 6 November 2008
This book is full of honesty, wisdom and modesty. It goes to the heart of the matter with warmth and helps you find the tools in yourself to be the best parent possible. A book to return to time and time again.