on 2 May 2012
This phrasebook contains lots of useful phrases in well ordered sections, great phonetic spellings, and very useful menu de-coder at the back. Lives in my pocket!
on 15 July 2012
I had a much earlier edition which I loved but couldn't find for our trip away so picked this up last minute.
What a mistake. You'd think useful items would be near the beginning. You'd be wrong. Instead you have a grammar section at the front...great if you want to learn the language but not so helpful when I'm trying to ask a guy if the parking is free in the street (even back home I still couldn't find anything on parking - or anything about petrol stations - what is 'fill the car up'? this book won't shed any light...). And if you want to learn the language (grammar et al) surely you wouldn't start with a phrasebook?! The pronounciation guide worked fine but the phrasebook was just far too diffiuclt to use in real-world situations. Scrabbling for please, thank you, excuse me (all sort of in the middle of the book) wasn't much fun. There are some handy phrases - on the last page and also just before the grammar. But there were some intersting choices in there too. All in all a disappointment.
on 2 September 2012
Went on a short holiday to Italy with my sister, who bought this because she'd had a lonely planet phrase book in Spanish.
In general this book had a broad variety of vocabulary spanning many situations, however we really only used a fraction of the phrases in the book, and the words we wanted to use most frequently were difficult to find - things like 'from', 'and', 'thank you very much'. Often these sorts of words were on seemingly random pages, and involved a lot of flicking through pages to construct a sentence which was actually useful.
As mentioned, the book covers a lot of types of interaction (health, food, and an amusing but unused chapter on chatting people up) however it was rather thin in some parts, such as for interacting with shopkeepers.
As for the dictionary, much to our despair almost none of the words we looked for were featured, however it was full of specific (and pointless) terms such as 'tobogganing' and 'pantyliner'.
The phrases themselves were helpfully worded and the pronunciation guide was very good too, and in general we had no problem being understood by the locals.

Overall, the book wasn't too bad but had some flaws, and wasn't too helpful for novices like me who would want the more basic phrases to be organised more accessibly.
on 2 March 2014
A nice combination of basic grammar and vocabulary, with a good choice of useful phrases. Just the right size too.
on 3 January 2013
It came in handy on our trip around Italy, although it could do to be a little smaller so it fits into a handbag.
on 14 August 2012
This book might be small, but it gives you so much information and just what you need from looking up what something is on a menu to knowing how to pronounce something ... there is also a 2 way dictionary which is very handy. The sections are also divided up well into their types e.g. menu decoder (invaluable!) etc. A great book to carry around with you. Would recommend to anyone.
on 30 April 2014
I purchased this book to take on honeymoon with me to Italy and it was an excellent help. It has a dictionary in it as well as a phasebook for use if there are certain words you need translated. The phasebook section is split up into different areas, for example, section for food/dining out. Really came in handy and I recommend it if you are planning a holiday to Italy.
on 15 August 2013
We haven't been to Italy yet but this little pocket sized book seems to cover everything you might need. It clearly and phonetically tells you what to say - you just have to hope you understand what comes back to you!!
on 23 July 2013
23/07/2013 I liked it because to is a nice size to carry in your pocket.Very practical & useful for use on holiday. The phrase book helped me in many situations where people in Italy did not speak English
on 18 May 2014
Lonely Planet never disappoint as their phrase books are always above my expectations. I like to think I travel a lot and with these books, I am able to converse with locals without any problems!