Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 June 2014
I did like this book it was good. But there was some inaccurate reporting of prices and some attractions, the typewriter museum for instance were not as great as the guide made out. Some attractions cost money but were stated as being free. If you want to actually see anything in San Marco Basilica be prepared to pay 5 euro to go on the roof, 5 euro to see the treasures and 2 euro to see the sarcophagus lid. So 12 euro all together. There were other exhibits that cost money to enter and were said to be free. The Peggy Guggenheim is definitely worth a visit, you should go there for sure. Didn't get to see most of the rest of the place, would go back again...
on 24 September 2014
Errors of fact, omissions and lack of detail make this guide book the most irritating I have ever purchased from the Lonely Planet series. I recently purchased a last minute deal to Venice, and so, not having time to wait for Amazon delivery, picked up this in a high street book shop after having a quick flick through. In general, it highlights the main sites, it has a separate map (but all guide books do that). Here are the main issues I have with it.

There are no instructions from Treviso airport. Although this isn't the closest airport to Venice, it is a viable option and also cheap and easy to get to Venice from (only taking about 15 minutes longer than from Marco Polo). This guidebook doesn't even mention it exists.

The separate map is made out of very thin paper. In walking from Piazzalle Roma to my hotel in the Dorsoduro, I'd manage to tear it slightly in two places, not just at the edge, simply by folding it.

The maps in the book are inaccurate. Not so much as to get you completely lost but enough to make it extremely annoying. Between the bus stop and my hotel, one of the larger canals looked as though it only had one bridge (which would have made a 15 minute diversion necessary), however, by that point I'd lost my place on the map and it's only as I crossed the same canal for the fourth time I became certain the map was wrong. Some of the road names are missing or incorrect. This is a difficult task in Venice I admit but it's difficult when in a new place, looking for a road name and thinking you have the right one but it not matching the map. Only when you start off down that alley does the name change half way down and you realise the map had omitted this. I felt, after deciding I could no longer face St Mark's Square any longer, I 'should' see the bridge of sighs. Only on my return when I had wi-fi did I work out, I'd walked past it. Again, not on the map.

Now I interchange 'alley' and 'road' which in Venice makes sense. This leads to my third point. There is no basic info about Venice. No warning, particularly for lone female travellers to gird yourselves that you will be spending a lot of time in alleyways but it's not necessarily as nerve wracking as you might imagine. Would be helpful. Also it's the first guidebook I've ever had with no section on the history of the place. Why? As I said, my trip was last minute and I was yearning to know more about the place.

There are other errors of fact too. Traghetto are not listed as only being for locals (which the signs certainly seemed to indicate, it also said it was 50 cents and it was actually 2 euros). The opening times of the market were wrong. The naval museum was listed as 1.55 euros, that's only for locals.

A bit more information on top tips would be nice. For example, wearing masses of mosquito repellent! Obvious information in retrospect but I saw loads of tourists with bitten legs.

And to be honest, it did very little to help you avoid the nightmare of the tour ship crowd in Venice either which is what makes the experience of visiting a little less pleasant.

All in all, as this was only written in 2014, a very, very disappointing turn out for the Lonely Planet books.
on 6 August 2015
I confused this guide with the main LP guide, so a pocket edition wasn't quite what I wanted!

Having said that, this edition is smaller - and more up to date - than our existing guide and seems to gove concise pocvkerts of information, so should do well. We do know the city quite well, but it's always good to read a litytle pre-trip.
on 26 June 2015
There's one thing you don't want a guide like this to be - misleading. You want to trust it and plan your first visit on it. You can't - so far all the restaurants and bars I've tried have been - rubbish. I gave up and asked my hotel to recommend - different league. This isn't about money - this book is simply not recommending good places at any price.
on 16 November 2014
This was fantastic for our weekend away. Just the right information in pocket size. The maps were great and the tips were also ideal. Really liked that they suggested murano and Burano as not many tourists go there and we were thrilled to visit these litttle islands as they were just so beautiful. Really recommend it
on 21 February 2014
Useful guide, ideal size for hand bag, would buy again for a different destination.
Good value for money, quick and easy to follow
on 5 August 2015
This was really useful for my short trip to Venice, really helped.

My favourite section by far that I would happily recommend - the Venician Tapas bar crawl - it guides you round several bars that serve tapas and small ombre (tiny glass of wine for 1 euro) and you really feel like locals eating and drinking with them! Highly recommended
on 17 November 2015
Very basic and trivial.
The author Alison Bing writes appallingly - every sentence starts with a pointless phrase e.g. "Every gondolier gasps when they see xyz..."
It becomes very tiresome when used on every page on every item.
For morons of the Twatter generation only.
on 17 September 2014
This guide book was absolutely perfect for a few days in Venice. It gives great ideas for the best places to see, and the individual area maps are great for pinpointing the sights. Also useful travel information is included.
on 2 November 2014
Really disappointing. Maps were pretty inaccurate and hard to use, also many of the recommended restaurants were either just not there at all or closed down. Really not worth the paper it's written on, wish I could get my money back.