Customer reviews

on 15 September 2017
Good Book
on 4 January 2016
Such a hard language to try, but this guide is fairly decent.
on 3 November 2011
I have tumbled across this book before I left for my holiday. It is very useful: it fitted nicely into my small bag. I was impressed with the allergy information as this proven very useful when we had a take-away.
In spite of its size it has all the necessary information in English, pinyin (romanized Chinese) and Chinese characters as well. It covers the topics such as pronunciation, transport, direction, accommodation, shopping, banking, social aspects, food, health, etc. and comes with a handy English-Mandarin and Mandarin-English dictionary.

Overall I can say it is a very good value for money choice.
on 15 May 2012
Lonely Planet pocket language books are by far the best I've come across for convenience, content and price.

Definitely designed more for people just visiting the country as a tourist, as opposed to people actually moving and living in a country.
on 30 October 2011
This little book is a lifesaver. I am living in China for one year as a teacher and in the two months that I have been here so far I have used it everyday even in my classes! The pronunciation tips at the beginning are very helpful, the sections cover everything you could ever need whilst travelling around and if the person fails to understand you (which is likely as it is so difficult to pronounce correctly) then you can always point to the pinyin or the characters which are underneath the English word or phrase which is especially helpful as not all Chinese individuals can understand pinyin nor is it likely you can or will be able to understand the characters. It really is an amazing phrasebook that I thoroughly recommend.
on 28 March 2011
Good book, with very useful tips on grammar, pronunciation and phrases. Reccomended if you already know some Mandarin, won't replace a proper grammar book. Very small, easy to carry it around.
on 19 September 2011
Great little phrasebook to help communicate whilst in China. It does its best to help with pronunciation, but of course as it is only a phrasebook and has no audio files I would really recommend an audio book if wanting to learn chinese better and get a better grasp of the language. But I would have been lost without this book in China so would really recommend it.
on 13 August 2012
Great little book. Have been learning Mandarin for 18 months now, was creating a vocab book of my own, but this pocket size book is great for just quickly looking for word(s) I want to use.
And comes with pin-yin, tones etc, so great.
Easy to navigate around, so a great buy for a small price.
on 29 January 2013
This is the most precious thing I took when I lived in China. The amount of times this has helped get me and my partner out of sticky situations/haggling/arguing/asking for directions is countless. The book is great it is very small (actually pocket size)has everything in English Pin yin and Chinese character so you can even point if your speaking isn't too good. You will not regret buying this book at all. I am keeping up with my Chinese and I take it to work to learn phrases and remember words I have forgotten since I started learning.
on 1 September 2012
If you go to language lessons you are taught the language step by step and even learn parts of the language that you cannot use, in this book the essential phrases are there for you to speak straight away. You can easily go down to your local Chinese restaurant and practise using the book, so in a way it is better than paying for lessons though at the same time it is good to buy additional books on the language if you want to gain fluency. Overall very good.