Apples for Jam:Recipes for Life
Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 April 2017
Beautiful photography, great recipes. I bought it as a gift but I didn't want to give away!
on 14 September 2015
The book is full of nice family recipes and has a overall cosy sphere and a nice writing style. Enjoying having it in our kitchen.
on 5 May 2010
This is a great book - a real coffee table conversation starter. The presentation is beautiful, the stories delightful, and the recipes not only delicious, a wee bit different BUT simple too. Good, home cooking with fresh and appealing ingredients.
on 27 August 2015
I'm sorry but I have to say that, from a visual point of view, this is the very worst cookbook I have ever tried to read! The printing is pale grey and very small, with lines so close together that, for me, the book is impossible to read. The lists of ingredients are in even smaller print, with the lines all squashed even closer together. Why, oh why has it been designed as if to deter people from actually reading it?
I may be doing the book a great injustice, the recipes may be brilliant, but I shall never know because I just had to give up trying to read it - it was giving me eye-strain and a headache!
I recommend you don't buy this unless you are very young and have 20:20 vision!
on 2 August 2017
I find it difficult to know what to think of this book because, like some other reviewers, I can't actually read it. I admit to being in my early 60s and rather long sighted, but I have as much right to read it as anyone else. Faced with tiny, pale grey text I just give up. For anyone with any sort of vision problem it would be completely useless. Meanwhile, all the fake 'handwritten' bits are really intensely black and somehow seem to make the grey text paler by contrast. What were they thinking of? 0 out of 10 for the design.
VINE VOICEon 14 September 2008
Before writing this review I had a read through some of the others that had been written. I was most interested by the one star reviews, irritation at the inclusion of the authors memories, and the categorisation of the recipes by colour. The organisation of the recipes by colour, I feel, is quite a nice novel touch - certainly pleasing on the eye. As for the inclusion of the authors memories? I thing this is one of the nicest things about the book. Tessa Kiros has an evocative way of writing and I can lose myself in her words (or they draw up my memories). Everything is interspersed with gorgeous photos.

As for the recipes - there is a lovely range. Some fairly simplistic admittedly, but plenty to inspire any cook. Tessa has a way of writing the recipes that I really enjoy - it almost feels as if she's looking over your shoulder talking you through it.

Recipes included:

Chicken escalopes with tomato and capers
Rosehip semolina puddings
Pumpkin pizza
Orange juice and olive oil cake with pine nuts
Mandarin jam
Fried custard squares
Penne with prawns, cream and tomato
Pomegranate sorbet
Green bean souffle loaf
Granola
Vanilla cake
Chocolate pannacotta
Apple bread with sugar and cinnamon topping

A lovely book to cook with, or curl up with.
22 Comments| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 February 2009
This book is fantastic... I love to cook and I love how this book is full of simple family recipes with little surprises here and there.
You don't need to actually go to India or remote parts of countries to get the ingredients for the recipes either.
It's organized by colour, which personally I think is a novel way of sorting it out, but if you are looking for a specific recipe, they are all listed in the index anyway.
I loved this book so much; I bought it for my sister. She hardly uses anything else, and we are always having days when we make some new recipe from it.

Fave recipes so far:
Banana Bread
Peppermint crisp pie
Beef stew
Lemon sandwiches with raspberries and cream
Pumpkin Pizza
Lamb and green bean casserole

This book also tells you how to make simple homemade things like:

Custard
Strawberry Jam
Toffee Sauce
Mayonnaise

I am about to buy her other books :D
on 14 April 2017
Love this recipe book. The pictures with a vintage style and a bit of a story line behind the food is beautifully done. I have used it a lot and love the recipes which are simple and tasty. Highly recommend if you are looking for family food and not fancy gourmet.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 20 May 2010
This is a gorgeous book, just so beautiful to look at. The recipes are set out on a theme of colour (red, orange, yellow, pink, green, gold, white, brown, monochrome, stripes & multicolour). Each chapter includes a range of recipes associated with the colour, covering everything from starters to main dishes and desserts. To give you an idea, the Green chapter starts with broccoli soup, and then includes, amongst others, recipes for green veg soup with egg & lemon, cannelloni, angel hair pasta with zucchini mint & feta, chicken escalopes with parsley & capers, sole bundles with spinach, pea & potato mash, green bean soufflé & peppermint crisp pie for dessert. The White chapter includes recipes such as leek & potato soup, pizza with stracchino cheese, risotto in spinach broth, baked fish parcels, vanilla cake, honey cake, baked cinnamon apples with buttermilk ice-cream.

This is an unusual way of doing things but brings up combinations that might not otherwise occur and leads you on to the next day's meal. If you like to see recipes set out in the traditional starter, main, dessert way then you may be put off but actually the layout by colour is so beautifully done, with lovely photographs, that it invites you to look further and I think would encourage readers to try things they might not otherwise think of.

The recipes are simple & easy to prepare, and embody the joy of food. This is a great family cookbook, nothing very fancy or complicated to prepare, but there is enough for informal entertaining as well.
on 2 January 2013
I was bought this for Christmas, and have already made 2 of hte recipes since receiving the book - the sausage and potato goulash, and an orange juice and olive oil cake with pine nuts. Both recipes were delicious, and while I would say that a lot of the recipes (including the goulash I made) are indeed very simple, they are not unwelcome, and although simple they are very fresh, healthy and tasty. A lot of the recipes can be made with storecupboard staples (like the cake and goulash I whipped up), and although I don't yet have children, I can see that if/when I do, this will be top of the list of books I will turn to when introducing them to new foods. I loved the authors' memories interspersed with the recipes, they were beautifully written and a couple of them reminded me of my own childhood, it was a really enjoyable experience just to read through the book, let alone to cook from it. The book is beautifully laid out with lovely photos of both the food and the authors' childhood, it makes me want to start my own food scrapbook with all the recipes I love and photos to go with them. If you prefer straightforward recipe books with no personal detail, then it probably isn't one for you, but if you're looking for inspiration, nostalgia and simple but delicious recipes, I would highly recommend this book, it is simply fantastic.