Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 February 2010
I have to say I'm a fan of Tessa Kiros and have all her books. "Twelve" is my least favorite and Apples for Jam is my most favorite. For me cookbooks are not just the recipes, but also the writing and the photos (and with some the illustrations). The photos in this book are just wonderful and Tessa's writing is a delight to read. If you also like that kind of thing, you won't be disappointed
on 16 October 2012
This was the first book of Tessa Kiros which I bought a number of years ago and I was enthralled by the whole experience. I was facinated by the beauty of the book , the stories , the photography and of course the receipes some of which I return to on a regular basis.All of Tessa's book take you on a culinary tour whilst giving little insights into her life and the traditions of the countries and cultures of which she is a part .
This copy was bought by my friend who discovered he books in my house and she is now a fan They are the kind of book that you can take to bed and read as they are so much more than a cookery book. My friend , like myself is now a fan and deriving great pleasure out of owning such gems
on 2 June 2006
Usually, I am the picky type of a book-reader. I not only need a good content or an interesting narrative. I also love hardcovers, stylish design, good-quality paper. To some people it might soud weird, but I feel that if I pay good money for a book, it should be good in all respects.

Well, Apples for Jam is a perfect example of a perfect book. Glossy pages, arty photographs that make you so hungry you want to chew your own tongue, children's funny drawings that bring out the very best in you and make you smile...

And on top of that, recipies that you actually are going to want to try! In just 2 days I have already cooked 3. And to do that, I didn't need to stock up my cupboard with weird ingredients like I had to with most of the "fancy chefs'" cookery books. The recipies are down-to-earth, simple but divine. Sometimes it's just 2-3 main ingredients, but the combination of flavours is fantastic. Some of the recipies are fun, some are healthy, some are more fiddly - but all of them are thoroughly explained. The magical bit is, with this book, whatever you try cooking out of it, works out the way it should - there is no plus or minus a spoon of flour, everything is pretty exact.

Therefore, you are guaranteed a delicious meal, a good mood and a happy smile.
on 23 April 2015
I am very pleased with the book. Love everything about it except that the print is difficult to read for me (in my sixties). It's faint and quite small. Love huge recipes and layout.
on 12 February 2007
This is a very pretty cookbook. There are lots of nice pictures. I was initially attracted to it for that reason. Also the recipes seemed straight forward and appealing, no fussy ingredients. I do like the book but I find the way it is organised by color a bit confusing. Additionally, the author has chosen to include many of her own children's drawings and her own memories of her childhood. These are sprinkled throughout and while they may mean something to her, they are distracting and rather sappy and overly sentimental, not a good addition in my opinion, just annoying. Overall, not bad, but I expected much more.
on 23 November 2011
This book is meant to be geared towards family cooking and food for children, and indeed many of the recipes seemed aimed to please a childish palate. The book was very pretty and colourful but, I feel, too cluttered with nostalgic memories and mementoes. None of the recipes really appealed to me - all seemed quite basic and unappestising, even (the beef roulade, for example) to my palate. I don't have children, though. It's a nice book, but I much preferred Falling Cloudberries; it may be suitable for someone looking for more recipes aimed at younger children, though.
on 28 January 2012
Tessa Kiros writes beautifully but more importantly, this is a book about feel-good food. Many of the recipes are so simple, but if you are looking for fuss-free ideas that result in satisfying and delicious meals, this is the book to go for. The honey rosemary cake is gorgeous. I love even the simple recipes like vermicelli soup with tomato and basil, or vermicelli soup with lemon and butter, Greek yoghurt with condensed milk and oranges...
on 20 September 2013
I am delighted with Apples for Jam. It is a wonderful book full of fantastic recipes which work and the book, like her others is beautifully laid out and very well bound. I am a fan of Tessa Kiros's recipes and have three of her other books, but, had been unable to get Apples for Jam in hardcover through bookshops. I was delighted to find a perfect copy on Amazon. It sits proudly with my cookbook collection and will get used a lot.
on 5 May 2013
I really love this book. It gives me great cooking ideas for my daily cooking. The receipes are simple and easy. Everything I made was delicious. There is a great variety of ideas in there from Bananabread to pasta etc. You will always find a good healthy meal in there. I also enjoy looking at this book - the pictures are beautiful and the little handwritten notes make smile. A gray buy!
on 12 January 2015
I have this book and have given it to my friends as it is such a lovely book. It has good receipes and is a book that you can dip into and out of with lovely stories included along the way. Quality of the paper is very good and the photographs are a pleasure to look at. A really nice book to give and to receive.