Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

VINE VOICEon 9 February 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a staggeringly huge book with many mood photographs and I ask myself what about the food. While there are plenty of recipes on display it does not offer a recipe for a basic pepper sauce instead suggesting you find jars of it! Since the internet offers plenty of this basic recipe (with and without chilies) I cannot see why the author could not have provided this as well.

In essence too many nice pictures and lacking in recipes in such a large format make it an unwieldy book to cook from.
on 12 July 2016
Excellent book. I came across it by accident in a deli and just had to buy it. Very well produced, with excellent dressing/photography, and I wanted to cook everything in it! It arrived this morning and I went out to a Turkish supermarket to get all the ingredients - it's been a long time since a cookbook inspired me in this way, and I can't wait to start cooking.
on 18 November 2011
I bought this book as a present for someone's birthday and wished I could have kept it for myself,so may buy another. The photos were fantastic and presented the real Turkey not the commercial image. The recipes looked delicious and would be easy to make. It was a good solid hardback, beautifully written, and I think amazing quality and value.
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Turkish cookery has long seemed to me the poor cousin of Middle-Eastern cuisine in terms of cookery book coverage; odd, as Turkish recipes are as varied as the country itself. Turkey is at the crossroad of Europe and Asia, and its geographical position ensures it has a rich culinary heritage. Leanne Kitchen's book seeks to capture the essence of Turkish cookery.

There are a wide range of recipes here, from meze to desserts, including familiar favourites such as köfte,dolmas and baklava (although even these are given interesting variations), but also many perhaps less familiar dishes - labneh, pide, katmer... Add to these the large number of recipes that have a real Turkish flavour without Turkish names (baked squid with celeriac, pink grapefruit juice , tomato and oregano, say, or chicken and pistachio soup, then the book becomes a treasure house of practical recipes redolent of the area.

Another very pleasing element to this book is that the recipes rarely call for hard-to-source "ethnic" ingredients: and when they do, there are always suggestions for alternatives that still work well.

The recioes are also very well laid out, and there are a large number of full-page colour photographs that help to make this a browser's dream even when not being employed in the kitchen. Finally, for me, the pages that talk about Turkey and Turkish eating are a real pleasure. Leanne Kitchen's book is subtitled "Recipes and Tales from the Road": these "tales" help to bring the book to life.

If you enjoy this book, I'd also recommend "Morocco" from the same publisher, Murdoch Books.
on 21 March 2014
I bought this book after a trip to Istanbul and it has recipes for most of the things I tried over there. I've had the beef and pistachio kebabs and one of the salads - really good. It tells the story of Turkey though beautiful images and text also.
on 4 December 2011
I bought this cookery book for my husband as he is so keen on Turkish cooking. The book is quite push, lovely photos and many interesting recipies. The only thing I was disappointed with there was no Kofta recipe in it. apart from that lovely book!
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 November 2013
I don't like spicy food but I like to cook lots of variety this book gives you history of ingredients which I like & it has some good recipes very good so far
on 22 February 2015
What an amazing book, full of gorgeous recipes and local village food and people.
Fantastic, I would def recommend this without hesitation.
on 6 December 2011
Stunning illustrations and wonderful selection of
recipes.

The book was purchased as a present,so well worth the wait.

Many thanks.
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a very high quality, exquisitely produced coffee table book - it's certainly not a 'wipe-clean' recipe book. BUT it is a very practical book too -it's about 80% recipes and about 20% a travelogue. It is well written and beautifully photographed, bound and printed. It gives an informative insight into Turkish culture and food. I am a very keen cook and host dinner parties and I discovered some really excellent recipes in here. There's guidance on Turkish ingredients, tips on where you can find them to buy and general help on the nature and style of Turkish cuisine. There are various sections, as you would expect, such as starters, meze, breakafast, meat, fish, etc but each section has a nice reportage style account of some expect of Turkish culture to complement the recipe text - think of it as a 'road trip with food'. This is one of the loveliest books I have bought for a long while - highly recommended.