on 29 May 2017
It a good cookbook for student , however it does have a lot recipe that are more suitable for people who eat meat. This is a great begin book for a student , although the recipe is simple (there a entire section of what filling you should put in your jacket potato. There is a lot of recipe in this book and was cheap as well.
review image review image review image
on 31 July 2014
A good book
on 7 October 2007
Just purchased this book for my daughter who has just started uni. Although still living at home she has taken a sudden interest in cooking making me loads of luvverly dishes. The book is well laid out with easy instructions and the recipes are full of healthy ingredients which are easily accessed. I love the twist at the end of the book on how to make a banana sandwich!! I now know that when my daughter does move into accommodation she will be able to be self sufficient without pigging out on takeaways. Excellent stocking filler for all students
on 4 August 2008
I got a copy of this book in the old cover style and it has definitely been a lifesaver.

All the recipes are easy, you don't need any fancy equipment and the dishes range from incredibly cheap to something to splash out on (Like the vodka chili!!) although the majority of them will definitely not break the bank.

Although it is a student cookbook I'd recommend it to anyone as some meals are impressive enough to serve to guests, but it also has fun family meals as well. All quantities are for 2 people so easy to divide or multiply up as well. I also like the snacks and standbys section at the end which has great lunchtime recipes.

This book was written by combining the Student cookbook and the Vegetarian student cookbook, so there are a lot of vegetarian recipes and a fair amount of recipes which are adaptable for vegetarians and non vegetarians. I found a few old favourite recipes in here but the grand majority are new dishes I'd never tried before and that made it fun as well.

Another thing I like about the book is each recipe is rated on how long it takes to cook and prepare, which is useful if you are starving. And the instructions are simple and concise so you don't get put off, without being patronising.
on 11 January 2011
I wasn't sure whether or not to buy this book because some of the bad reviews said the recipies were more for a dinner party idea. I really don't agree, I bought the book because of the price really but I'm glad I did. There are some fantastic ideas in there and I can't wait to try them out!! I've been after a recipe for Leek and Potato soup for ages, and now I've found one :-) along with plenty of ideas of what to do with pasta! (being a student, I eat plenty of pasta ;-) )
on 22 February 2012
The recipes in this are great but are probably not entirely new-to-cooking-student friendly. Having bought another student cookbook (nosh for students) you can really see the differences in the recipes and ingredients they use. Just by looking at the ingredients, it's noticeable that these will cost a bit more and it would've been better for them to include a rough estimate of the costs like I've seen in other student cookbooks. You'd think that they'd realise that students won't be using fresh herbs but apparently not.

It's great that the recipes are varied and that everything is grouped together into different sections. Meaning, there's a potato, pasta, vegetable etc sections so you can go straight to what you fancy and work from there as opposed to the standards of starter, main course, dessert.

However, there are no photographs whatsoever. If a picture is worth a thousand words, why not include some? Especially considering there are random and entirely pointless illustrations scattered throughout.

The information at the start of the book is very useful for new students including information about food safety (defrosting!) and handy ingredients and equipment to keep in the cupboard. Though saying a fish slice is an essential but a measuring jug or vegetable peeler isn't? I don't even know what a fish slice is but I know that both my vegetable peeler and measuring jug are worth investing in! It also has information about things like cooking rice and different types of that particular food at the beginning of each section, something that's really handy to have written down when you're starting off.

Over all, I think it's great if you're not bothered about the lack of photos and have a bit of cooking ability. Perhaps I've been a bit harsh on the recipes but if you do want a cookbook that's a lot easier, I'd recommend Nosh for Students. This however, is perfect for me and will be getting a lot of use out of it.
on 20 August 2010
I was given the original version of this book when I went to University over 15 years ago and I still use it almost every week! It doesn't appear to have changed much and I'm still finding new favourites in it. I'm just looking up the new version for a friend and am now sincerely tempted to buy it. What a bargain.
on 10 April 2009
This is a really handy little book for inexperienced cooks, it's got a lot of really simple mealsto help anyone get by. The recipes are quite simplistic but you can always expand them to make them more exciting
on 2 December 2013
I was given this when I moved to uni in 2008 and I used it all he time, I even still use it today! Full of quick and simple ideas that are really filling and different. There are a few things in there that are a bit of an insult and shouldn't really be in a cook book but on the whole, it's fab. Perfect present and I'm sure I'll use it for years to come.
on 20 September 2010
Bought as a gift for a young man with limited cooking skills. The recipes look like a good mix for all abilities, from a simple banana sandwich to more exciting meals like cajun gumbo - and there's loads for vegetarians! Great info on shopping, preparation and food hygiene. He was delighted with it - let's just hope he doesn't burn down the halls!