VINE VOICEon 8 August 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I picked up a copy of Lonely Planet as a Scottish native. I figured it would be handy to have a guide to the country for when friends visit and want to explore, I find myself somewhere unfamiliar or I fancy a day out somewhere new.

What you get here, like any LP country guide is a decent introduction to the basics of the place, and ideas of what to explore further. The book is logically arranged by area then split up from there. I find that the smaller places tend to fare better from LP country guides than the big cities. The chapter on Edinburgh is a bit lacking. It covers all the main tourist attractions in the centre of the city but little coverage given to the multitude of things available outwith the Old and New towns. Perhaps a good starting point for a first time visitor but for anyone else, you won't learn much. That said, if you have visited Edinburgh a few times, you'd perhaps be more inclined to pick up a city guide instead.

However, there's plenty to get you started if you want to use the guide to get out into the country. The coverage here is great in my opinion. Plenty of tips on the best accommodation, suggestions of activities and where to get more information. There are maps throughout the guide but there aren't many towns that get a street map, it is mainly just regional maps. There is also more colour than LP used to use which is good to see.

Overall, if you are a first time visitor to Scotland and plan to explore lots of places this is a good choice. If you are only going to visit Edinburgh or Glasgow, I would perhaps suggest a city specific guide instead. My favourite guide to Edinburgh is the Local's Guide to Edinburgh (Locals Guide Edinburgh Owen OLeary

And a final note, if you find yourself in Dundee, the best chip shop is in fact Dora's on Dura Street. Not The Deep Sea. Just so you know.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 29 April 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a handy little guide of approximately 500 pages. It is in the current Lonely Planet format and therefore starts with about 40 pages of general background to travel in Scotland including the top sights which is usually rather subjective, suggested itineraries depending on the amount of time you have available and the rather useful Whats New section which shows recent changes appearing in the new edition of this book.

The main body of the book, some 400 pages, is devoted to a detailed consideration of the nine regions of Scotland. The two major cities of Glasgow and Edinburgh each have good coverage with 40 and 60 pages respectively. I was particularly interested in the information given on Edinburgh as I have been there several times and am visiting again in about a month. The section was in depth enough for me to unearth several interesting things which I had not done before to keep me amused during my stay. The pull out map of Edinburgh at the back was also helpful.

For each region there is an introductory section including when to go (temperature chart), why to go and other key information. There are maps and information on the key sights of the area. Where to eat and sleep is covered, although the former is not always sufficiently updated in new editions to be entirely reliable in my opinion and for accommodation I tend to rely on internet sites such as Tripadvisor as I believe many if not most do these days.

The final section is devoted to a mix of history and culture, and finally the very useful Survival Guide, which is a welcome addition to the Lonely Planet travel books. Overall this is a very comprehensive and useful book which will assist the traveler and make their visit to this very interesting country more rewarding.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Inevitably, it seems, I always end up comparing Lonely Planet with Rough Guide. Over the years I've bought one or the other guide to most of the places I have visited or intended to visit. There have been occasional forays into the likes of Time Out and DK territory but RG and LP are usually hard to beat. And there's the problem. Actually both are as good as one another. I have the latest, soon to be superseded, I guess, RG to Scotland and it served me well on the last trip, as did its Great Grandad ten years ago. This brand new edition of LP is likeley to do so next time I travel. It's maybe a little less opioniated in places- very noticeable when it kind of says Fort William would be idylic except if it weren't for the dual carriageway... have you been to Fort William? Exactly, my thoughts too- and is often more humorous than RG, which in terms of readability probably gives it the edge.
I do give the LP guide major credit for highlighting vegetarian places to eat in Edinburgh and for being much more attractive and colourful than earlier editions or than the RG, which I imagine will be competing soon. There are new innovations, such as "3D" maps of certain places and this, again, adds to its readability.
This guide is comprehensive, easy to read and good to look at.
on 1 April 2017
Wonderful travel guide as always.
on 9 June 2014
It was better than having no guidebook (and you can't rely on the internet to check out where to go as the 3G signal is extremely poor in much of the Highlands and we didn't come across great wifi availability either. But we were disappointed and frequently frustrated by the lack of detail contained in this guide. Lots of info on the big cities and plenty on particular historic monuments (but this really isn't difficult to obtain elsewhere). What was missing were the small details necessary for travelling around that I normally turn Lonely Planet to get. Things like info on campsites with hook-ups for camper vans and also ferries, for getting between the islands was very limited. Many popular tourist destinations had very small sections and addresses weren't given for many places to stay and to eat. This could be a pain eg we booked to go to a Seafood Restaurant described in the guidebook as being in Kinlochlevan. So we drove there and searched around for ages. It turns out it is about 4 miles out of the village. Because of the misdirection from Lonely PLanet we'd actually driven the wrong way round the loch and added about 10 miles (and 30mins) to our journey. A nuisance if you are in a camper as we were, would ruin your night if you were travelling on foot or by public transport.
VINE VOICEon 17 June 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
We're off exploring West Scotland this summer, so I got this to plan ahead for our visit. It is well written and contains a lot of useful info about places to visit and towns etc in the area. As with other books in the series, it contains a section of general background info as well as more detailed sections on each region.

The style of writing makes it very readable, so it can either be used for reference on specific areas, or if you want just read it cover to cover as an interesting book.

Definitely recommended for any visitors to the area and full of ideas for places to visit, eat etc.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A whopping 512 pages of info plus fold out maps of Glasgow and Edinburgh sounds pretty impressive doesn't it? In reality this guide is decent rather than stellar though, with a lot of attractions namechecked, but not necessarily given that much airtime. Having visited Loch Carron, the Applecross peninsula and Torridon last year, I was a bit disappointed not to see more offered about this spectacularly beautiful area. And the fab Kishorn seafood bar not even mentioned. That said, the well-regarded Applecross Inn is included, as is another of my recommendations, the seal, otter and jellyfish-spotting Seaprobe Atlantis cruise around the Kyle of Localsh.

Features I particularly liked were the city guides, divided by region (though Glasgow seemed to be lacking most of the eateries and burgoning street food culture recommended my Glasweigan friend), best beaches and castles, and the interesting little factoids and quirky attractions scattered throughout the book in buff coloured boxes (The Corryvreckan whirlpool, offbeat accommodation in bods and lighthouse cottages, keeping the Sabbath and walking on Mull)

There are some nice pictures, though this guide still tends toward the older, more wordy Lonely Planet format. Maps help orientate you and give you some idea of distances between attractions, but are not detailed enough to navigate by. Some of the non-geographical sections included are Scottish Larder, Culture, History, and Wild Scotland. There's some interesting info in these sections, such as recognition of the strong scottish showing in contemporary crime writing, though there's also a lot of predictable stuff about scotch broth, tartan, and bagpipes. All the usual stuff on transport, bank holidays, electricity and visas etc to be found at the back.

Overall, this is not a bad book, but I think suffers a little from trying to cover what is actually a pretty vast area in just one volume. I have noticed that the Lonely Planet 'Discover' series, which takes a more pared down approach are a notch above their more comprehensive guides, probably for this very reason. 3.5 stars.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I thought this was a terrific guide to Scotland and I speak as someone who was born in Scotland and who has lived here for most of my life. As I was born in central Scotland and have lived in the Highlands for more than 20 years, I have a good knowledge of these areas of Scotland. I also have a reasonable knowledge of some other parts of Scotland which I have visited or holidayed in. I can, therefore, vouch for the accuracy of this guide. This has been written by someone who knows, and loves, Scotland and who has researched it very thoroughly indeed. The information given is also bang up to date so you can be sure that the prices quoted for things like accommodation and restaurants are pretty accurate. I was also impressed by the fact that the author managed to capture the "vibe" of the locations rather than just giving factual information.

The guide is split into the following sections:

1. PLAN YOUR TRIP - This includes photos, itineraries, walks, golf, days out etc, etc.

2. ON THE ROAD - This divides Scotland into 7 distinct regions plus separate sections for Glasgow and Edinburgh. The guide provides extremely detailed information about each region and includes info about the main towns in each region. There is information about where to stay and where to eat and places to visit. There is a map of each region and there is even a fold-out map of Edinburgh at the back of the guide as the author recognises that Edinburgh will be on most tourists to-do list.

3. UNDERSTAND SCOTLAND - This covers Scotland's history, culture, food and wild Scotland.

4. SURVIVAL GUIDE - This gives a wide variety of information including details of embassies, the health service, electricity, money, telephones etc, etc. This is all information which would be invaluable to any tourist coming from abroad.

Altogether I thought that this was a great guide which would be especially useful to foreign tourists. However, it is also great for British tourists even for those who already live in Scotland. I plan to go to the East Neuk of Fife for a short break in the autumn and I have already been looking up the relevant section in this guide. I will use this guide when planning future holidays and even days out in Scotland. It is a guide that I will carry with me.

Altogether highly recommended.
VINE VOICEon 24 March 2014
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
There is the potential for misunderstanding in the driving section on page 493 of this guide when it suggests that it is only a nice thing to do to pull over on remote Highland roads to let faster vehicles pass, in places it is a mandatory Police notice - you have to and I know how annoyed some locals get when they miss hospital appointments because they were stuck for miles behind a campervan. Other than that gripe this is informative and covers the main points. Also looks much better than the old LPs as the blue headings and sections indicators are so more friendly to the eye than the previous monolithic black. However for detailed accomodation advice Lonely Planet seem to have given up the ghost and you are better off with TripAdvisor if you want to assess Bed and Breakfast options (and there are so many excellent ones in Scotland that do not make it into this guide).
on 23 September 2014
I just returned from a week long road trip of Scotland, and I have to say this book was invaluable.

The content is useful, relevant, well presented and thought through. The layout of the book makes it fairly easy to navigate and find places, and gives good accurate accounts of places and areas.

More time is spent to provide more information on larger cities, and tour routes and itineraries are also included.

What really impressed me was how in depth the book went with regards to even small minor settlements around the highlands, which proved invaluable in finding good places to stop for a rest.

I would definitely recommend this book for anyone traveling to Scotland.