on 5 May 2017
Comprehensive
on 7 October 2013
I travelled in Peru for slightly over three weeks, partly on my own, partly on tours, and used this guidebook. I found it somewhat unreliable in parts, eg bookshop which it stated existed didn't, opening times for museum were wrong, bus office was not where the guidebook said it was, "friendly" tour operators who provided tours in English were unfriendly and had no English tours. The thing I found repeatedly was that recommended restaurants were not good. I also felt that history/culture sections at the back had been copy pasted from Wiki (or something) and that the writers didn't really know what they were talking about (eg "Along with Egypt, India and China, Peru is considered one of the six cradles of civilisation ...." And the other two are?).

Prices are generally incorrect, but I can forgive that as I tend to expect even newly published guidebooks to already be out of date on this front.

The writing style is "jaunty" which I didn't mind but which you might find annoying.

Generally not as useful as other Lonely Planet books I've used. I don't know what alternatives there are to the Lonely Planet Peru as I've only used this one. I do prefer the layout and format of Lonely Planet to, eg Rough Guides/Footprint, but I might try one of the latter next time.
on 7 July 2013
Poorly set out, very hard to find things. Perhaps just the Kindle version, but more trouble to navigate the book than it worth. Restaurant information sometimes fanciful, writing style irritating. Well below standard I have seen in other Lonely Planet guides.
on 4 June 2013
Another excellent Lonely Planet guide, with all the details you have come to expect from Lonely Planet. Informative, interesting and essential for any traveller who not just wants the well known sights, but also where to go (safely) off the beaten track.
on 30 September 2013
Happy with this following a disappointment with the last Lonely Planet guide we got for a different trip - this was much more what we expected. Prices already out of date but this is inevitable - and some had gone up as well as down! Suggested walking tours around cities with associated information were very good and a great way to start out in each new place. Flicking through from page to page for map, key to map, and descriptions of places on map is a little annoying after a while but overall very happy with this.
on 27 June 2015
bought for my daughter who has just returned from a trip there. She gives it five stars and found it most useful
on 30 August 2013
Like most Lonely Planet guides they provide a good overview of a country. Despite us having the latest 2013 guide, prices are often hugely different from reality. From experience on the ground this is not rapidly changing prices in Peru, rather Lonely Planet's ineptness in correctly editing the guides. We have found many prices between 1 and 2 years out of date. Disappointing!
on 9 June 2015
I bought this as my husband wanted to visit the ruins and trails. Plenty of relevant information and this lives up to the standard of an essential guide before committing to an expensive experience. I researched Australia and New Zealand via these guides before travelling there and found the advice practical, realistic and invaluable
on 5 October 2015
Certainly helped us navigate our way around. However, some irksome inaccuracies that make me think a thorough fact check is in order. For example, it advises that you're not allowed to take food into Machu Picchu, however, we didn't seen any signs stating this nor did anyone check our bags. We visited in June 2015.
on 1 November 2013
This book was incredibly useful, whilst travelling around Peru, had excellent recommendations and tips. Although for the best result we found combining the Lonely Planet and Rough Guide books gave us the optimum idea of where to go and what we wanted to do under time pressure.