on 28 June 2017
I'm going to Gozo in September. Like most guides to the area, this one focuses on Malta. Only 20 pages are devoted to Gozo compared to 78 pages for Malta. The other 85 pages give background, history, culture etc. appropriate to both islands.
It's probably as good a guide as any. It features many, good, monochrome maps and a few coloured pictures (including the now-collapsed Azure Window !)
on 17 April 2017
informative
on 10 December 2015
Excellent guide
Very clear and insightful guide.
on 21 April 2013
This was an excellent book to plan our trip to Malta and Gozo. The driving and walking tours were very useful and allowed a good tour of the major sites. Restaurant suggestions were excellent - we were not disappointed by those we tried, especially Zest in Silema. Interesting insights into the local history and traditions. Would recommend.
on 27 August 2013
An easy to use guide with just enough information to be able to make your choices - invaluable for our 7 days in Malta with lots of great and unusual ideas
on 16 June 2013
We had already picked up a couple of guide books in the run-up to our recent trip to Malta. They were strong on 'sightseeing' but lacked depth about the stuff I was most interested in - the neolithic temples and ancient sites. I flicked through a copy of this book and found it had much better descriptions of those aspects, including a couple of plans of temples.

As other reviewers have noted, the maps were a little lacking in this book but the only other flaw was with some of the bus numbers. Although this edition is absolutely up-to-date, some of the bus numbers seemed wrong. To be fair to the author though, Arriva Malta seem unable to decide when 'summer' should start, which means some routes aren't running fully and timetables are to be taken with a pinch of salt!
on 17 July 2013
The book provided the right amount of detail, history and breadth. I would have provided 5 stars if the maps had been of a higher standard
on 16 July 2015
I've been a 'heavey user' of LP guides in the past, mainly using them for fairly out of the way holidays. This was really unimpressive and didn't seem to fit with the LP tradition - it didn't feel like the author had actually explored much at all. I was expecting a book which gave clarity over what was touristy and what was off the beaten track, but I felt I got a guide worthy of the tourist office. It was light on out of the way detail, and very mainstream.
If you're going to Malta or Gozo for an easy, mostly lie about relaxing holiday this will be more than adequate. If you're looking for something a bit more in depth be prepared to ask when you're there. (in general we found the Gozitans and Maltese to be friendly and helpful)
on 29 April 2013
I have often bought Lonely Planet guides for our trips, and always found them informative and helpful This was also the case with this guide. It is from Feb. 2013, which is one reason I chose it. Another reason is the usual good coverage of background and history in this series. Recommended, but perhaps not as the only guide. I always buy several, often also a good walking guide, such as the Sunflower Series, plus a more basic 'Sights' guide, such as Insight or Marco Polo. If a guide can give you just one or two great experiences on your trip, it has paid for itself.