on 21 April 2013
This was an excellent book to plan our trip to Malta and Gozo. The driving and walking tours were very useful and allowed a good tour of the major sites. Restaurant suggestions were excellent - we were not disappointed by those we tried, especially Zest in Silema. Interesting insights into the local history and traditions. Would recommend.
on 27 August 2013
An easy to use guide with just enough information to be able to make your choices - invaluable for our 7 days in Malta with lots of great and unusual ideas
on 16 June 2013
We had already picked up a couple of guide books in the run-up to our recent trip to Malta. They were strong on 'sightseeing' but lacked depth about the stuff I was most interested in - the neolithic temples and ancient sites. I flicked through a copy of this book and found it had much better descriptions of those aspects, including a couple of plans of temples.

As other reviewers have noted, the maps were a little lacking in this book but the only other flaw was with some of the bus numbers. Although this edition is absolutely up-to-date, some of the bus numbers seemed wrong. To be fair to the author though, Arriva Malta seem unable to decide when 'summer' should start, which means some routes aren't running fully and timetables are to be taken with a pinch of salt!
on 16 July 2015
I've been a 'heavey user' of LP guides in the past, mainly using them for fairly out of the way holidays. This was really unimpressive and didn't seem to fit with the LP tradition - it didn't feel like the author had actually explored much at all. I was expecting a book which gave clarity over what was touristy and what was off the beaten track, but I felt I got a guide worthy of the tourist office. It was light on out of the way detail, and very mainstream.
If you're going to Malta or Gozo for an easy, mostly lie about relaxing holiday this will be more than adequate. If you're looking for something a bit more in depth be prepared to ask when you're there. (in general we found the Gozitans and Maltese to be friendly and helpful)
on 17 July 2013
The book provided the right amount of detail, history and breadth. I would have provided 5 stars if the maps had been of a higher standard
on 14 August 2014
100% cannot fault this guide. We went on holiday for a trip to Gozo hoping to get away from the crowds and explore at our own pace as we also hired a car and this little guide was exactly want we needed. This guide is brilliant, it's nice to go somewhere and be able to read the history behind the places you're visiting as well as finding secret spots away from other beaches/coves or go to a recommended restaurant. Planning to go to Istanbul later this year and will be buying another Lonely Planet guide :)
on 10 March 2013
I bought the latest version for a short trip to Malta and wanted to know everything I 'should' see and do on the island.

Generally a well written book with some great restaurant suggestions - it was definitely a good purchase in comparison to other travel guides I found for Malta on the market.

My only 'criticism' are maps. They are just not detailed enough if you want to go into Silema/Valetta so we ended up getting lost a few times.

It's also advisable to mention that if you want to go 'off season' you need to be aware that certain things wont be running (e.g. tours to Comino that only run Mar-Nov).

Otherwise - a very helpful guide with great hints and tips for what to do on the island.
on 12 March 2013
I bought this on Kindle thinking it would be easier to carry around - it wasn't. It was difficult to use in this way. I believe it would have worked much better in print. It was full of really helpful advice and titbits Malta is truly amazing its historical roots in both past and reacent history is fascinating and this book is full of useful ways of enjoying everything from the many interesting sights and the cafe culture as well.
on 29 April 2013
I have often bought Lonely Planet guides for our trips, and always found them informative and helpful This was also the case with this guide. It is from Feb. 2013, which is one reason I chose it. Another reason is the usual good coverage of background and history in this series. Recommended, but perhaps not as the only guide. I always buy several, often also a good walking guide, such as the Sunflower Series, plus a more basic 'Sights' guide, such as Insight or Marco Polo. If a guide can give you just one or two great experiences on your trip, it has paid for itself.
on 16 November 2015
I bought this book in advance of a holiday I'm planning. To get the most out of the trip to Malta I thought I couldn't go wrong with a Lonely Planet guide. The book arrived promptly as expected. It is a little smaller in size that I thought it would be but the content is very good. There is a nice introduction and the top places to visit section is ideal. The guide then breaks down the island into areas of interest and gives clear and friendly information on what to find. It's a book version of having a conversation with someone who have been to Malta.
My only problem with the guide is the small print and some of the maps are small but that is to be expected when you consider the overall dimensions of the book.

This guide will be in my case and on me when I venture out and about in Malta.