on 1 July 2017
Whatever country we visit we always buy a Lonley planet guide it never dissapoints
on 6 September 2017
Excellent guide as usual. Informative with great maps
on 9 September 2017
Good
on 18 March 2017
Good detail but print a little small
on 5 March 2017
as we live here, we use it a lot!
on 20 March 2013
Hong Kong (Lonely Planet City Guides)

As stated in the title, it is the first time I'm almost totally relying on a lonely planet travel guide and I'm overwhelmed by the huge amount of information spread all over the book.

I must say I do not appreciate the list-approach through which all places and sights have been laid down, especially because there is really little way to tell what could be more or less important to see. For instance one thing i miss of my routard is the rating system they use to give readers a clue about how a place stands within a specific area - they rate "all sights" from 1 to 3 points.

Another frustrating thing is that all throughout the book there is no way to understand where one's going. Each chapter just begins with a list of things to see, eat, drink etc, but no notice is given about history and/or population of any neighbourhood or district whatsoever. There is a state-of-the art section at the end but it is of no use when you're approaching a specific area and what you crave for, as a tourist, is to know where you're gonna find yourself if you go there. You need to go through descriptions of bars, restaurants, markets etc to figure out what the main trends are, but no greater understanding is provided.

All along the guide authors keep suggesting a lot of planning, tours.. they even lay out a full 4-days program, but again, they give us so little background about this all that as tourists we're kind of asked to take a total leap of faith - not at all my thing.

I saw there is a smaller city guide of hong kong (former "encounters"), which costs half the price. Beside of Macau (i guess), I wonder what added value is there in a book that doesn't allow a longer vacationer to delve into the culture, the mood and the lifestyle of his surroundings.

Instead of all the cool designs, layouts and graphics I would definitely appreciate some knowledge that helped me sort out all of the lists in here.

Ps: if you felt pretty much the same, I later found the national geographic guide to provide everything LP was lacking of.
on 24 November 2015
I bought this guide for a trip to HK in October as it was the most up-to-date guide available. As I used it to plan my trip, I had some concerns. For example, the 'Top Sight' in the New Territories was the Ping Shan Heritage Trail, which I was interested in going on. But other than the fact that it was in the New Territories chapter, there was nothing on the page to indicate where this trail was! I had to Google it to find out, which completely defies the point of having a guidebook. After I'd Googled it, I found a tiny reference to the location in the book, but it was not easy to find - not ideal for use on the road. I also found that there was not a great deal of information on ferry tickets & prices to Macau from Hong Kong - again, information I could find on the Internet, but I bought a printed book so that I did not have to do this. The area I was staying in (Sai Ying Pun) was not covered in very much detail by this guidebook, and some of the restaurants recommended were no longer there. The map could have been more detailed.
However, no guide book is perfect, and using this guide was better that having none. It gave some good and interesting information on the sights in Hong Kong and the information on buses in Lantau was spot-on.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 28 April 2014
My daughter and I used this book extensively on a recent seven day trip to Hong Kong and it was rarely out of my pocket or hand the whole time. The writing style is informative but informal with plenty of pictures and a decent fold out map which was better than anything that the hotel could provide us with (tip - take a clear plastic A4 envelope or the map will get tatty quickly!). A summary of each area gives a taste of what you are to expect and colour coded pages help in navigation.

I would take issue with the Top Ten sites but that's purely subjective. For example the Man Mo temple and HSBC building are 5 minute wonders but The Big Buddha and Po Lin Monastery are well worth the trip. Ocean Park too if you're travelling with youngsters. Happy Valley, Star Ferry and The Peak are a must and if you like your green spaces, we found Kowloon Park to be better than Hong Kong Park.

Overall, this was a fiver well spent and massively helped us enjoy our trip to this great city.
on 12 April 2013
Had a quick visit to Hong Kong and as the guide I had was pretty old decided to get a new copy. It gives you all the information you need from stations to eating places and places of interest. As ever Lonely Planet have done the work for you. A must for anyone going to Hong Kong as the city is changing fast.
on 7 April 2014
Oh Lonely Planet how disappointed I am in thee!
Having come to expect good things from the single travellers guide book of choice I was hoping for an informative yet informal Hong Kong Bible. Sadly, Lonely Planet's latest incarnation failed... Miserably.
The latest addition appears to put appearance over content (There's no getting away from the fact that Rough Guides are decidedly ugly compared to Lonely Planet).
Here are the problems:
1. The included maps are maddeningly awful. Two simple, not covering a wider enough area... Bad, bad, bad! Ask for a free map from your hotel or even better pick up the free MTR map.
2. The index - Argh! I just want one index... Not several! Don't expect to find what you want in the index - It's woefully bad.
3.The Top Sights - Who chose these? Of all the things in Hong Kong, the HSBC made the Top Sights? Come on!
All is not lost however... As one might expect from such a trusted travel source the Lonely Planet authors really do come up trumps with some of the hints and tips nestled within the book (it just might be a bit of a mission to dig these nuggets of information out).