on 27 September 2017
Really great book to plan your trip from. You do need to sit & read it though to get the most out of it. Only given it 4 stars as it's 2015 so a few places had gone out of business. Think it works well if you also have a handy guide ( DK top 10)
on 13 August 2017
We found this book very useful when we went on holiday to Cape Town.
on 16 March 2017
This book arrived with me very promptly. It was very useful and informative.
on 6 March 2016
Nice little guide - helped us a lot
on 3 November 2012
The coverage of Cape Town appears to be excellent, however I cannot fully judge until I have visited Cape Town itself. One of my major motivations for buying this book is for the coverage pertaining to the second part of the title "and the Garden Route". The coverage contained in this book of this most beautiful part of the world is scant to say the least. It is treated more as a day trip section, hardly even a chapter in its own right. In the bookshop today, I scanned the content of a competitor edition who appear to provide much fuller coverage of the garden route including detailed maps (lp have earned a reputation for being sloppy with their maps). Thus, I will be looking to buy the coverage of the Garden Route from that competitor and downloading it to my kindle.
If the title of the book said, "Cape Town", then it would merit 4 stars. But as an avid Lonely Planet purchaser over the years, I am very disappointed with it's scant coverage of the Garden Route.
33 Comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 November 2015
Not worth the money one of the worst lonely planet has produced
on 28 December 2013
I know a book can't cover everything, but compared to some Lonely Planet guides, this seemed to have limited coverage and only short descriptions of key places. It's a good starting point but I recommend buying a nother guide/using the internet to get more details. We found some lovely places using this e.g. Silvermine but "can swim in the resevoir" turned out in real life to be "bring a picnic and make an afternoon of it - but there's no food on site".
Like other reviewers, I also found the coverage outside Cape Town to be limited. The brief history section is interesting.
The main thing for me which was missing, was more about general things in SA - there's no mention (that I've yet read) about the people who try to sell you things at red lights, or how much you should pay someone to "look after your car". I found both these made be feel uneasy, especially not knowing if I'd paid the right amount to ensure my car wouldn't be damaged - and do you pay first or after? I also disliked people trying to direct me through the airport, push my shopping, clean my shoes...no tips on how to deal with this!
on 6 April 2013
Despite having reservations about using an e-guidebook, this worked out very well on my phone (galaxy note II with the huge screen) rather than on my Kindle, where it suffered from the lack of colour illustrations and the maps were all but useless.
One of the main benefits was being able to use the web links embedded in the text - within seconds of reading about the Kirstenbosch sunset concerts, I was on their website and booking a ticket.
The guide contained lots of excellent suggestions for groovy places to visit that were new to me despite being a regular visitor to Cape Town, and sitting in a cafe looking at where to go next on my phone made me feel less consipicuously like a tourist than looking through a paper guide book.
Dividing the book up by districts makes it very easy to go exploring for a day or afternoon.
It is also great that as it is all downloaded, there are no roaming charges involved with using it - and of course, it takes up no room in your suitcase.
on 21 February 2016
Well written,concise and packed with useful information.Maps particularly good of a number of garden route towns.Detachable map of central Capetown if one doesn't want to take the book which in any case is quite light.A good buy for travellers.
on 16 October 2015
This 296-page book - the 8th (print) edition of October 2015 - is an interesting and readable guide to the best-known and southernmost South African city. This is a well-designed and presented guide, with useful maps, and a fold-out map inside the back-cover. This is not a glossy guide with lots of colour pictures, but it is a well-designed and laid out guide, with colour used sparingly. It is intended to be a helpful guide to things to see and do, and not just a list of things to see and do.

It is broken down into four major sections:

Page 4 - Plan Your Trip:
This section is an introduction to Cape Town, what to look out for (Cape Town ‘s Top 10), what you need to know in advance, and other important touristy stuff, such as where to eat, drink, shop and find entertainment.

Page 48 - Explore Cape Town (“The Guide”):
This section contains chapters on 9 districts of Cape Town, plus sections on Day Trips & Wineries, the Garden Route, and on accommodation.

Page 265 - Understand Cape Town:
This section has articles on local culture - history, arts & architecture, people, etc.

Page 243 - Survival Guide:
This section contains the A-Z Directory, and details on transport, language, and the Index.

P266: Map Section