Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 January 2014
This is a very good guide covering all that is important in these three countries and the only guide that I am aware for Djibouti and Somaliland. The authors have visited every corner of these three countries so you know all the information is original.

I bought the Kindle version which only had a few duplicated pages and no missing text, faults that often seem to occur with Ebook versions. Personally I wish I had bought the paperback version as I like to flick back and forwards and mark the actual passage of interest which I could not do easily with the electronic version.
on 18 January 2015
I've been using Lonely Planet guides for years, however, when preparing for the trip to Ethiopia, I read on some travel forums that Bradt guide is much better. And because it was our first trip to Africa and I really wanted to have the best book available with the most information, I bought both.

I can now say that Lonely Planet's guide to Ethiopia is good and Bradt's isn't really any better. Of course there are parts that could be improved but I would say the same about both books - funnily, what one book was missing, the other one had and the other way around.

But overall, if you're used to Lonely Planet/Rough Guide structure and you feel comfortable using their guides, go with this one. Bradt's guidebook is simply much more descriptive which I personally found a bit confusing.

And just for clarity which part of the guide book I'm referring to, we travelled (on our own) to Addis, Danakil Depression (a 4-day trip with a local travel agency), Lalibela, Gondar and Simien Mountains.
on 12 September 2013
Usual no nonsense . It had concise details on all the places I am due to visit so very happy
on 22 January 2015
Very good guide overall. Was very useful in Ethiopia & Somaliland (although the maps weren't great)
on 23 December 2014
A good and useful book on Ethiopia and Djibouti, but quite weak and superficial as to Somaliland.
on 20 August 2015
Very specific and informative with relevant up to date recommendations and tips
on 2 December 2015
Very useful guide, rich in practical details, and also entertaining reading.
on 17 July 2015
A useful travelling buddy. Good service from the suppliers also.
on 23 October 2014
Book arrived in perfect condition.
on 17 January 2015
Great help in holiday planning. Soon to test it 'on the ground'