Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - U2 Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 14 October 2008
I confess, I usually prefer Eyewitness Travel guides - so you should probably bear that in mind when reading this review.

I used this book recently on a five day trip to Rome. On the plus side, it provided a short summary of all the key, major sites in Rome. Also, the restaurants that we tried based on their recommendations (three in total) were all excellent.

On the flip side. The descriptions of the major attractions I found were pretty sketchy at best, and really not as informative as I would have hoped. What was particularly frustrating were the quality of the maps, which are all extremely basic (bar perhaps one); so navigating your way round all the streets and avenues is not made easy, or reassuring, by using this book alone.

Ultimately from I guide book I personally want to feel well informed and comfortable navitgating my way around unknown territory - this book, I felt, didn't do that well on either count.

Therefore, I would recommend you shop around!
on 25 June 2009
Used this on a 7 day trip to Rome. It was a handier size than some books we took and despite what other reviewers say the maps were really useful. The one from the back (which doesn't go back in) was in constant use as the main map and really useful as such whilst the ones insider were helpful for finding specific places.
What let this guide down however was the lack of detail about places -it was useful for getting somewhere but not useful once you were there.
The book is split into neighbourhoods which sometimes was useful and sometimes less so. Each of these contains places to see, eat, shop and play. The only ones I wanted were the 'see' ones and removing the others would've allowed this to be better -but that's personal taste.

Overall this is a handy book to fit in a bag but could be much better.
on 20 September 2007
Just come back from a 5 day trip in Rome, with this quide as one of the books used whilst there and found it quite inadequate. I also had a much smaller guide with me, by another publisher, which was of far more use packed with helpful pictures, maps and descriptive passages. The only helpful thing this LP guide had to offer was a larger map of the city which covered the via Appia area where the catacoombs are to the south of the city, but apart from that it was a waste of money.
on 30 August 2008
I bought this for a day trip to Rome but it was pretty unhelpful. The information was all correct but it didn't have enough info to guide you on a walk around the sights, or even to help you find the entrances to some of them. Even the maps were a bit awkward. Disappointing from Lonely Planet, I expected better.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 October 2015
Excellent little guide. Fits in the pocket but gives plenty of information, good maps and clear recommendations. Perfect for a short stay.
on 17 February 2015
Can't remember buying this, probably bought for my daughter but Lonely Planets books are a useful source of information generally.
on 5 February 2013
A great city guide with loads of practical advice and tips on the best sights and places to stay and dine.
on 18 August 2012
This book is great and has made me want to go to Rome even more than I already wanted too! It is insightful and helpful, I particularly like how each neighborhood has its own section in the book and that you can easily find places to visit and eat using the colour codes. Overall I would recommend this book to anyone who is wanting to go to Rome.
on 9 May 2007
I used this handy-sized book for my first visit to Rome and as I stayed outside the city, I found the maps for the area out of Rome helpful. Sadly I didn't get to see many of the places mentioned but I will be back and so will this book.
on 12 November 2010
This book is very useful when travelling, it recommends hotels, restaurants and all the sights to see. It also has an excellent map which is easy to follow. It also gives details on cultural issues you may need to know about before you go there.