on 23 November 2012
We recently went to South Korea, and anticipating language difficulties, we wanted to learn a bit about the language and a few phrases.

The book is a nice handy size (literally). It is about the size of a medium-sized hand. It does indeed contain phrases in Korean, so it does fulfil its title. However, I think there isn't much good to say about the book beyond there.

First of all, as Korean uses a different alphabet, you probably want to learn that. This is covered in the phrasebook. However, South Korea recently adopted a new romanisation, which in my opinion, is an improvement upon the old one. The book, on the other hand, bravely (perhaps arrogantly) decides that the old romanisation is better, and keeps this. I am not sure whether this is just laziness, or that they truly think it is better, but I think they should use the new system. It is more consistent with your experience in Korea and I think is easier to read. It explains the difference between one sound and another by saying one is "aspirated" and the other is not, without explaining what that means. Turns out it's like the difference between b and p, but it would just be better to use b and p, like the new romanisation does.

Second, while the book does say a bit about the different levels of formality in the language, it confused me a bit about things like "thank you." The inside front cover has key phrases, like thank you, but for thank you it gives you two options without explanation. Both are formal enough, but one is the usual for out and about (gamsa hamnida), so for key phrases, it would be best to give you the one you need.

Another thing that really frustrated me was the lack of key words throughout the book, which I also think is poorly structured. We got in a taxi in Gunsan, and wanted to go to the airport. After the driver didn't understand our hand signals and noises, I turned to the phrasebook. Flipping to the section on transport, I couldn't find the word for airport. The only place it was was embedded in a sentence about an airport shuttle bus. Flustered, I pointed to the sentence, and the driver fortunately got my meaning, but there was no way I could work out which word it was. Yes, there is a short dictionary at the back of the book with the word, but in my flustered state I turned to the main section. There should have been key words flagged up.

I think the main thing about the book is it almost forgets its remit as a phrasebook, and almost tries to teach you the language, but very poorly. If you want to learn Korean, you would not use this book. As a phrasebook though, I think it goes too far and forgets the basics. The phrase section at the back of your guidebook is probably sufficient. We bought the Insights Guide (after returning the Lonely Planet one), and found that the phrase section had plenty for most purposes.
on 10 August 2013
As mentioned before, the big downfall of this book is that it uses the old (pre-2000) romanization to write korean words in roman alphabet. From their explanation, I think it might be because this is still the rule in North Korea, however in South Korea most maps, subway stations, etc., are according to the new romanization, so be sure to read into the differences between the two (this is not covered in the book).

Other than that, it's very small and handy, cheap and covers quite a lot (including a small dictionary). It also gives a short overview of the language, which is easy to follow and gives you the basics. All in all, it's a good buy, but I hope they will update it to the new romanization soon.
on 27 October 2015
I offered it as a gift to my friend going to South Korea for the holidays. She seems super happy with it.
fast delivery
on 1 April 2016
Thanks.
on 6 January 2013
I'm going to Korea this year and this is the perfect thing that I needed! I adore it!
It has so much in it and gives you phrases for all of the needs you could ever think of!
It even gives you cultural tips so you dont do anything offensive!
Is perfect for travellers who don't want to learn the language!
on 17 August 2014
Will come in handy when i visit
on 26 June 2016
includes explanations about sentence structures among other things
on 19 January 2016
A great introduction to Korean. Lots of useful tips for the new learner or if you just want some basic phrases.
on 3 February 2015
Fantastic little book, I've been frustrating my girlfriend with the phrases, however she says some are a little dated.
on 22 December 2015
Love it, very very handy and small