on 6 November 2005
I never was a great fan of the lonely planet guides and probably never will be. Most travel books I buy have big pictures with highlights of the must see points in a place. My partner on the other hand has an eye for the detail and the lonely planet guides are the only ones she will ever buy.
When we started looking for a book for Norway for our trip this summer, this was one of the few books available on the areas we wanted to cover. And I have to admit, the detail and accuracy of the book is quite astonishing.
We started our journet in Bergen and moved on to some remote parts. Where as the Bergen Guide(available from the tourist board) is your best bet for Bergen, you will not find find a better book for the other parts of Norway. All details like locations, restaurants, trips, activities were remarkably accurate and went a long way in making our holiday memorable.
I might finally be getting converted to a lonely planet fan!
on 10 December 2006
Found the book a very handy reference for the journey - interesting and well written, with a good deal of practical detail, great value recommendations. Excellent coverage of both cities and more remote areas. The author's own fascination with the country is very contagious. Highly recommended.
on 16 February 2002
No mather what type of travel budget you are on you've to watch out going to Norway. This book is the best investment you can make to avoid blowing your budget. Readers used to Lonley Planet guide books know what they get. This edition is no exeption. Even with some factual errors you'll know what to see, what to avoid and how to get around. Usefull even for me as a Norwegian getting hints on those not as common attractions.
on 30 January 2012
I was going to give this 2 stars but on reflection that seemed mean-spirited, given the lowest rating is 1 star.

On the positive side, this is another forumula-written Lonely Planet tome, with all the usual stuff about getting there, where to stay and where to eat out (in the main towns). Its easy to follow and decipher. Some good background information too, about Norway's history and customs.

On the other hand this is one of the least densely populated countries in Europe, with a wealth of spectacular scenery, a diverse collection of national parks, world class mountaineering venues, hiking and cycling trails, all supported by a network of hostels and huts. And many travellers visit Norway for those reasons (though you might not think it, reading this guide).

If you're one of those travelling for outdoor activities, and maybe on a tight budget in this breathtakingly expensive country, this book will frustrate more than inform.

It provides a basic location map of the national parks, but not even outline maps of the parks themselves (a basic map of each, showing peaks and hut locations would have been great).

The page in the book devoted to information about maps neglects to explain there are a series of maps specifically aimed at walkers and cyclists, at scales of 1:50,000 to 1:200,000. Stanfords (stanfords.co.uk) sometimes stock them.

Given that many road tunnels and some bridges are closed to cyclists, it would have been good to have been provided with more information on that, or whether this information can be found on maps.

And maybe less information on restaurants, upper-end hotels etc as much of this is available elsewhere (and in the case of the former, very rapidly becomes out of date and useless).

Another gripe I have is with the rainfall and temperature 'graphs'. The basic idea is good - its always good to know in advance the average climatic conditions for any month. But I would argue that tables with actual figures, or failing that, more traditional bar charts, are much easier to interpret. Perhaps all the tables for the various locations (a small number) could be grouped together, to allow for comparisons.

There aren't that many train lines, it would have been no big effort to have included a bit more information about them, especially about intermediate stops. Simple rail map for each line perhaps? Not everyone can afford a hired car, or travels by cruise-ship.
on 3 March 2009
This is a very informative book about Norway and the Norwegians. Just check the details about the airports. I suspect the book is out of date for such details because they change so quickly. Check the website for the latest.
on 22 December 2013
I used this in my last trek and it was useful. However these guides are more and more aimed at the better off car driving travellers and not the 'Europe on a budget' trekkers as they once were. Most listed hotels, rooms, cabins, food outlets were marketed too high for me by far. Mind you, it was Norway!!
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 16 February 2012
This is a review of the 5th Edition published in 2011.

We needed a Norway guide as we were planning to visit a number of ports off a cruise ship and wanted to do our own thing rather than pay the usual extortionate rates for trips. This book did the job just fine as there was generally a map of the town we were visiting and the main attractions were described and shown on the map. It was therefore easy to plan our own itinerary and to guage whether it could be done on foot.

My impression is that this is one of the better country guides I have come across. It was very easy to navigate around and find what I wanted. 90% plus of the book is devoted to places, as opposed to general observations about the country which I doubt anyone finds very interesting. For each place there is quite a lot of useful practical information on getting the best out of a visit. There is good information on transport for each location, which is particularly helpful in Norway.

My only niggle is that the book gives the appearance of being a very cheap print job. There is colour printing only on the first 13 pages and frankly it is of such a poor quality that you wonder why they bothered - it is not as though colour printing is expensive these days. Given the quite high price of this sort of guide I really do not think that it is that clever saving a few pennies in production.
on 24 December 2014
I originally purchased this for an upcoming trip to Norway. Unfortunately Lonely Planet dont seem to have a city guide to Oslo, likely due to the smaller size of Oslo. I did find this a very insightful book and very accurate. I was interested in knowing more about where I could travel for a chance to see the Northern Lights, I felt this edition lacked any meaningful information about the Lights and ended up having to do endless online research to find what I was looking for.
on 7 February 2015
Detailed and informative. Possibly the only book you will need when going to Norway. The only piece of advice I can give is (unless you want to sleep in a tent) to make sure you've got a hostel/hotel booked for every night because there aren't that many B&B type of places in Norway and you may struggle to find accommodation when travelling in season.
on 21 August 2013
I am a long term LP user, but this was was my first KINDLE version purchase... I was deeply unimpressed, both with the guide and with the kindle formatting. The guide itself was sparse to the point of rendering itself practically useless. It only gives cursory information about the main tourist spots, nothing at all "off the standard tour", and poor information on practicalities. As an example, Selja island and its beautiful ruins is mentioned in one sentence, the next sentence talks about a different village 30km away at the end of the peninsula and the following sentence mentions Senja town on the mainland. No information about the irregular boats (1 a day) to the island, or the fact that they only run weekdays til mid-August or that the cost is 30 euro a person - all information required to make the decision as to whether and when to make a long day trip out to the location. That was just one example. In addition, while some town maps are broken up into separate parts to make them visible in the KINDLE format, none of the regional maps are, which makes finding the location of location of e.g. park head offices on a separately purchased road map very difficult... Altogether a major disappointment - I will not purchase another kindle format guide, and probably will avoid LP, at least for European trips...