Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change
Price:£24.16 - £100.88

on 16 February 2013
Scotland (Lonely planet country guides)
is nice and detailed descriptions and we look forward to explore scotlands wild beautiful north
on 10 January 2010
This book was probably one of the most useful things I bought last summer for my trip to Scotland.
I took a tour of the whole country and the book always helped me when I arrived in a new town. Glasgow, Fort William, Edinburgh, Inverness, Aberdeen, Thurso, Orkney... When I arrived in each town I knew where all the campsites were, the attractions, the castles, the hostels, the restaurants, the fast food places, the cinemas... just what you need if you are planning a spontaneous adventure in Scotland (which I definitely recommend you do!).
on 25 February 2017
All ready for summer hols and cheaper than a new book.
on 9 March 2015
Very useful book for travelling around Scotland.
on 6 August 2010
Very good book, gives a good overview of all the areas of Scotland, what to do and where to stay. Useful information, Lonely Planet does it again. Highly recommended
on 17 March 2004
I was shocked to read this book. Although the Lonely Planet series is generally very good, this edition made me really doubt whether what they say in other guides is actually true.
I now stay in Glasgow, but am not a native. I was shocked to read what they had to say about the city. They couldn't have got it more wrong. Telling all tourists to say they support Partick Thistle, come on! I am neither a supporter of Rangers or Celtic, and have never once been asked what football team I support, and I have lived in the city for three years. It makes you wonder really whether they have visited the city that they write about.
Glasgow is the most vibrant city in Scotland, and according to the National Geographic, the most vibrant in Europe. It was European City of Culture in 1990, UK City of Architecture and Design in 1999 and European Capital of Sport in 2003. This does not sound like a city that is entrenched with bigotry. Whats more, it has the best curry reataurants in the UK, not to mention one of the best variety of other restaurants as well. It has the best shops in the British Isles outside of London. It has a very trendy nightlife. This is the city that exists, not the one that the Lonely Planet guide portrays.
I feel that as this guide does not do justice to the city, I should perhaps do a bit of selling of it.
If you want the true Irish experience, come to Glasgow, not Dublin or Belfast. Glasgow has the class of Dublin, mixed in with the friendliness of the rest of Ireland. If you want the best most manageable shopping, come to Glasgow, not London. If you want a very trendy city, don't go to London or Paris, come to Glasgow. If you want a bit of sporting competition, come to Glasgow. Who knows, you might even enjoy a Rangers-Celtic match.
Glasgow is the friendly city! Not what Lonely Planet says. If you want to visit the westcoast of Scotland, don't listen to what the guide books have to say. Just visit it.
I ask the question, did the people from Lonely Planet actually visit Scotland, and espescially so, did they actually visit Glasgow?
And, don't say you support Partick Thistle. After all over 100 different nationalities make their home in Glasgow. Not everything is about Rangers and Celtic.
Come and visit us. Don't read about it in this guide.
22 Comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 January 2017
Happy
on 27 February 2009
Lonely Planet are THE best guidebooks and 'Scotland' is no different. Very useful for attractions, eating and accommodation. We always buy Lonely Planet for wherever we are visiting - in Sri Lanka we even told our tour guide about an attraction he didn't know of!
on 12 June 2007
A book that needs to update its view of Scotland, especially on its comments of Glasgow. Visit Glasgow!
on 10 July 2001
This lonely planet book provides quite good coverage with maps, especially if you're an independent traveller, but still need some info. (although it's a bit out-of-date)