on 26 July 2017
very infomative
on 9 June 2009
Lonely planet - whilst it does consist mainly of written pages with just a few photographs and maps, is a perfect partner to the top 10. Here you will find the best resturants that usually the locals go to, which are value for money and of excellent quality. You dont need to read everything but if you want great places to stay for what ever your budget and like wise for eating out, then you will be very happy with your purchase. Of course it does also give you extra information about places of interest, which if you don't mind reading or have found in the top 10 but want a bit more info, then this is your book.
on 10 August 2011
we used this for a trip North of the border, and it was a great asset for planning things to do in Scotland .. very useful if you've never been before.
on 9 January 2012
I found this guide frustrating to use for planning a trip as the layout meant that you could be looking at one page with information on Killin and then the next page catapulted you 50 plus miles to Culross on the coast of Fife.

I would have prefered the information on places to be laid out in a more sequential fashion.

The only way to make much use of the book as a planning tool is to start at page one and then note all the things of interest in place X, you then have to go through the book repeating the process for each place whilst also trying to figure out where it all is on a big map. This is all very time consuming and I gave up after several days.

We took the book with us and it was of some use for finding things once we got somewhere, but this was a big trip for us and we wanted to be well prepared in advance.

We did find that information on admission prices was out of date quite often and the information on Orkney was a bit light. A wider choice of recommended B&Bs and pubs would have been good too.

In summary, if you don't mind stumbling around Scotland and using the book to learn a bit about where you've arrived, then the book is OK. BUT if you want an easy way to plan your trip in advance, you should look for something different!
on 20 July 2009
The Scotland Lonely Planet guide gave us very good advice about road trips, maps, accomodation and fun! I believe I will buy another Lonely Planet guide next time I travel.
on 15 December 2008
This member of the renowned Lonely Planet series was an essential tool in helping me plan and conduct a family holiday tour around the highlands. All the information I wanted was supplied, including phone numbers of key helpers (such as lone operators - real heroes of rural Scotland - to complete otherwise isolating gaps in transport).
Scotland is a gloriously living place, so changes occur which would account for occasionally being out of date, as complained of by other contributors. From my summer's experience, each element appeared current and reliable.
on 7 August 2012
We went camping round the highlands & islands and this book proved invaluable on more than one occasion. There is excellent information on accommodation and dining out for larger towns. There is unfortunately a lack of detailed maps, I would therefore recommend using in conjunction with a large scale map book. This is by no means a one-book-solution to touring Scotland, but for useful tips on where to stay and what to do once you've arrived it's a good item to have in your armoury. Having bought it second hand through amazon I did feel I got a bargain.
on 27 July 2000
We own a guest house in Stonehaven, Scotland and my motivation for purchasing this book was to put it in the Guest's Lounge as a resource for tourists to the area.
Unfortunately, for a book that is supposed to be specialising in Scotland, found it a bit lacking in coverage. Even the Rough Guide to Britain (which has 4 countries to cover) managed to get the attractions in and around Stonehaven in! (e.g. Harbour, Dunnottar Castle, Birdwatching etc).
I'm off to purchase Scotland - The Rough Guide. Hopefully it'll be more useful for our guests...
S&y
0Comment| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 24 October 2011
As usual with Lonely Planet guides (and I must own close to a dozen bought over many years of travel), this is simply the best one-volume guide to the whole country I could find. For all of my smart phone access to the Internet, I still found this indispensable during a recent two-week trip to the mighty Glasgow, festive Edinburgh and remote highlands. You won't regret buying it.
on 28 August 2011
I bought this book as we are going to Scotland later this year and I was told it was a good book and I was told right it is a great book I have chosen lots of places I want to visit out of it
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse