on 11 April 2010
Used this book for an intensive trip around Cornwall, so we covered a lot of ground. There are some strange problems with this book, like a couple towns have writeups or information, yet don't appear in the index which is annoying when you're deciding whether to jump off the train or not. The are almost no maps of anywhere in Cornwall (though maybe the other counties are okay?). But the advice is sincere and personal and gives little tidbits about the place. Definitely recommended.
on 6 May 2013
I purchased this book as I was planning a driving holiday covering Bath, Bournemouth, Paignton and various parts of Cornwall. I have bought a couple of other lonely planet guides which have been helpful - sadly this one is fairly useless. The main problems with it are a lack of any half decent maps, no pictures, lack of detail about places of interest and in some cases no mention of them at all. For example I know the Bournemouth area fairly well; the lovely gardens at Compton Acres are not mentioned in the book and worse still the best Tank Museum in the country (at Bovington)is only mentioned in passing in a section about a walk to Clouds Hill. Obviously Tank Museums are not for everyone but if this has been omitted who is to guess what else hasn't even been mentioned. On the plus side the book talks a lot about food and where to eat so if you want a holiday where all you do it eat and have little interest in anything else this is the book for you! If you have more varied interests I would invest in a different book!
on 7 September 2009
Great guide. Designed to help you find the things you want to find, without colour photos... although it would be nice to actually see where you going :/
on 12 June 2012
Living in Devon I was intrigued to see what the Lonely Planet said about my own doorstep and hoped to find some great tips and pointers off the beaten track. What I instead found was a tourist information shop like guide to the south-west's attractions. Obvious and very little though put in to providing that 'off the beaten track' feel that other Lonely Planet guides have done so well.
At times it merely lists National Trust properties or the obvious spots. Quite disappointed. I suppose this would be a useful starter point if you knew very little about the area, but it is very superficial and in my opinion of the places I know contained within this book, tends to just point to the places you would have found anyway, which personally is not what I look to the Lonely Planet for.

Either way, enjoy the beautiful South west!
on 24 June 2012
This is a good basic guide to the South West Region, however, having read the entries for these regions in the Lonely Planet Great Britain, I purchased this book expecting greater detail on these regions. I felt that this did not really offer any greater depth than the Great Britain edition and felt it was lacking on descriptions of smaller beaches and villages that were still well worth a visit. I'm a bit disappointed as I am a big fan of Lonely Planet guides and they have served me very well whilst abroad. Amazon sold this at a good price, but next time I would probably stick with the Lonely Planet Great Britain.
on 5 June 2011
We have just got back from a two week holiday exploring devon, Cornwell and the isles of scilly. It gave info on everything we could ever have wanted to do from booking accommodation, travel to the isles, snorkalling trips and even restaurant recommendations. We wouldn't have seen half as much without it. A very useful guide. Lacking a bit on maps but I wrote things on our road atlas of interest.
on 19 March 2016
Great little book we found it extremely useful and factual with good tips on our recent trip to Cornwall we defiantly visited places that we may have missed had we not got our little book strongly recommend easy read and great value for money.
on 21 February 2013
I bought this book as I had not done cornwall ever. It was perfect. It had everything in it that I needed to know and saw some wonderful sites with easy to get to directions. Highly recommend this book to get the most out of Cornwall.
on 17 March 2015
Thorough, good maps and the usual high standard I would expect from Lonely Planet. My husband and I used the book for our two week trip and we found it brought us to places we would not have travelled to otherwise.
on 11 April 2013
Perfect product at a very good price. Quick delivery. Could not fault this at all. Excellent. Not read it all but looks good as per all Lonely Planet guides. Recommended.