on 23 October 2009
This phrase book is definetly worth purchasing if you are visiting Bulgaria. The books design makes it easy to locate the phrase or words that you need by splitting phrases up into relevant sections. There is also a small dictionary in the Appendix which shows the word written in Bulgarian and English alphabets. Words are also always accompanied by English phonetics. The reason I only gave this phrase book a 4 was because a Bulgarian friend was looking at some of the phonetics and didn't agree with the pronounciation of some of the words, but I guess that could also be down to regional dialects. Worth buying!
on 23 August 2010
Do not be taken in by the small size of this phrasebook-it holds a massive amount of information all set out in very simple colour coded sections for ease of frantic flicking when caught in tricky 'live' situations with the locals! I found it to be a lifeline when we had a puncture in a remote mountain village and needed to borrow some tools to get going again. I also liked the phonetic spelling of the phrases and words since the cyrillic alphabet is not the easiest thing to get to grips with in the space of a fortnight's holiday! The useful extra notes on local customs and etiquette were extremely useful too. I would definitely recommend as an essential part of your packing list.
on 6 September 2010
Divided into handy sections - such as eating out, travel etc. Gives assistance with pronunciation as well. very useful
on 22 May 2012
Last year, prior to visiting Russia for the first time, I bought "Russian" in the same series. I was so impressed that, in anticipation of my visit to Bulgaria this year, I bought the Bulgarian one - this time on Amazon, for a bargain price.
It is a true pocket-sized book which can be taken anywhere easily. The main body of the book is divided into situational phrases and information e.g. "Finding accommodation"; "Camping"; "Eating out""Greetings and goodbyes". The introductory section deals briefly with history, alphabet,pronunciation and basic grammar; while, at the other end of the book, we have a mini-dictionary in both languages and an index of topics.
The layout is very user-friendly and there is an incredible amount of information in a compact book.
on 10 February 2013
This book explains in basic terms, an introduction to the Bulgarian language. It's very easy to understand.
I have found the English-Bulgarian & Bulgarian-English phrases, towards the back of the book very useful.
My husband and I will be visiting the country soon and this pocket sized book will be a real asset.
on 12 July 2013
Excellent combination of basic grammar, phrasebook (don't miss the section on dating and sex; it's priceless: "Now I understand why you're single"! :-)) and dictionary. The dictionary selection could have been more relevant, in order to use space better. Great book, though, it was a big help in Bulgaria.
on 5 May 2012
Good little phrase book, just what I was looking for before we take a one year old to Bulgaria. Lots of helpful phrases about doctors/baby changing facilities/ etc. Also good dictionary for food/menu etc. Good travel size.
on 6 January 2015
This was the best book I could find when I started to learn the language. Easy to understand. All the key phrases you'll need as well as excellent lessons and tips to help on grammar. One to buy!
on 23 February 2014
It goes everywhere with us - pocket size is perfect. It has survived even being dropped down an outside loo and being retrieved with a pointy stick - it still bears the scars :-) [...]
on 2 November 2013
I've tried other phrase books, but this series seems to have the most current use of language. This was my 3rd Lonely Planet phrase book. Really useful and well set out.