on 12 September 2009
I specifically looked for this guidebook, because the Lonely Planet books are generally quite good, although not my favourite series. This, however, is really bad. It is more a personal travel journal than a serious guidebook giving factual information and it is absolutely not suitable if you have your own means of transport, as it is totally geared towards people travelling by public transportation.

What I found most annoying is that most places are described as dull, or of no interest (what's the point of including them in the guide then?!) and there are supposedly "funny" comments such as "Hello. My name is Newport and I'm a bit of a dump" (p.106). And the paragraph goes on like that to say that now the situation has improved... Besides finding similar comments often inappropriate, I don't care what the author likes or dislikes: I want to be able to judge by myself, especially because we figured out right away that the places the authors recommended the most were the ones we liked the least.

Very commercial places are praised, whereas more beautiful off-the-beaten-path places are not included or not recommended if mentioned.

I found this guidebook incredibly bad and I have the feeling that it's mostly because the travelling style of the authors is really different from ours. Still, I had never come across such an opinionated travel writing in a guidebook. Save the money and try some other guidebook.
VINE VOICEon 6 July 2009
It's sad that neither of the two editors of this guide are Welsh, a fact which may help explain the niggling errors which have crept into this part of the usually excellent travel series. I'm from Newport (which isn't in Gwent!) and found two silly slip-ups in less than a minute.

I like the tell-it-how-it-is attitude displayed in the text, and perhaps a future edition will tidy up the errors in what would otherwise be a five-star book.
on 17 October 2012
Bought this book prior to a family holiday in New Quay only to find that this guide ignores all of the beautiful villages and beaches between Aberystwyth and Cardigan, whereas other guides had extensive sections. On our next holiday on Anglesea once again only a few towns were covered, again far less than other guides. It seems to try to be trendy but there just isn't enough information. Are all LPs like this now?
on 20 August 2003
This guide is all you need to experience Wales as it should be. You've got travel information (and do get yourself an ISIC card, if you meet the requirements), you've got places to stay, and of course a description of the main features in Wales, starting obviously from Cardiff, Europe's youngest capital. This guide is especially useful if you have a rather low budget, since many of the hotels, B&Bs, bars and restaurants listed a rather cheap (but not reall low quality, mind you). Recommended.
on 26 August 2008
1. No accurate address and post code of sites.
2. Phone numbers of sites are without prefix, if you're not local you will never know how to call them.
3. Importent sites are missing (even when there is a review of the area, somethimes it just doesn't direct you where to go).
4. Cheap editing, the editor wanted the earn few extra pence and gathered the pictures into groups of pages. The outcome - you can read about a place and then try to find a picture somewhere in the book, if there is one (instead of having the picture next to the site description). I wouldn't mind to pay an extra pound in order to see where I'm going...

Luckily, I have found few nice places online and the most importene thing - the Welsh have very good information centres accross the country with loads of leaflets and guides.
on 20 June 2011
I've used this on a couple of short trips to Wales over the past few months. The book is really easy to use and has some great recommendations. The author's don't mince their words - they tell you what's good and what's not. I found it useful both for planning the trip and when I was on the road.
on 1 May 2012
Used this book on a 5-day tour of North Wales. Found all the information in it I expected. The book gives a good overview of things to see and do in Wales.
on 15 August 2011
A fair book for those intending to tour Wales but not as well written or as comprehensive as the "Rough Guide" to Wales, which has far more information for the first time and returning visitor.
on 21 November 2012
I went driving around wales and this was of great help but I'd rather have a traditional version of the guide and not the "discovery" one. Love everything coming from Lonely Planet.
on 25 August 2014