VINE VOICEon 23 February 2011
It would be unfair to base a review on the penultimate paragraph on page 15 of this book which asserts that Ben Ali will stay in power as long as he wants to but, for the traveler, there are more serious flaws. I used this guide last month in conjunction with a five year old P'tit Fute bought second hand for a quid. Sometimes the prices in the P'tit Fute were more up to date than the Lonely Planet (LP)! Furthermore, despite French not being my first or even my second language, the French guidebook was just easier to read and more communicative than the LP. Nevertheless, and taking into account their misreading of the underlying social situation of the country, the contexts and preambles of the LP guide are not bad. It is a shame that the town and city maps are generally too small, not detailed enough and not extensive enough but I understand the trade-off between text and illustration required. One advantage of this is that you will need to communicate with ordinary Tunisians if you want to get out of the tourist areas and you should find that a real pleasure. The LP is disparaging about louage transport at times but, especially during the uprising, we found this to be socially comforting and a great way to get to know the lives of locals. Yes, it can be a little cramped and uncomfortable but not tiresomely so. I intent to go back to Tunisia once the west of the country settles down as I want to finish the holiday that got curtailed, someone from LP needs to return and get the new situation documented too. It is unfortunate that a guide published so recently should already be out of date but Tunisia (and Egypt) need all the help they can get to re-invigorate their tourist market - it would be great if I could buy, and positively review, a new LP guide to Tunisia before the year is out.
12 people found this helpful
on 1 August 2015
Some howlers in this book, including the visiting times to the main mosque in Tunis, which we consequently missed seeing.
on 11 March 2018
GOOD
|0Comment|Report abuse
on 10 December 2014
Good
|0Comment|Report abuse
on 1 April 2015
Very informative indeed
on 5 August 2015
Great book
on 3 December 2012
We bought the 2010 version of Lonely Planet Tunisia, we are just back from Tunisia now. We found the information in this book to be geared to top notch tourists, and also found the information bore no resemblance to the experiences we had, to the point where we were actually wondering if the author had ever actually visited the country. I know it was 2 years out of date, and I know there have been riots there and civil unrest, but nothing added up, even to the smallest details of which supermarkets to visit and what they were like. I've always had such great respect for Lonely Planet but was dumbfounded when I discovered the BBC own 75% of it now and wonder if this has anything to do with the product being nothing like Lonely Planet used to be - for independent travellers who wanted to avoid the tourist trail.
4 people found this helpful
on 29 September 2012
I have always found the Lonely Planet guides more accessible and readable than the other major guidebooks, and this book was no exception in that regard. It provided a good background to the country (even if the politics section was unavoidably out-of-date) and reasonable coverage of all the sights we wanted to see.

I do however have a couple of criticisms.

- on page 44, under the heading 'Responsible Travel', the guide informs you that it is apparently offensive in Tunisian society for even married couples to hold hands in public. Any "public displays of affection are a definite no-no". My girlfriend and I were therefore dutifully walking a good, culturally-sensitive foot apart at all times... until we began to notice dozens of Tunisian couples walking quite happily hand-in-hand and arm-in-arm! It may seem a minor discrepancy, but it did make us wonder what else might be misleading in the guide....

- by Lonely Planet standards a fairly slim book... it wouldn't have hurt to pad it out with some more detail. For example, when staying in Mahdia, the guide told us there was only one non-budget hotel in the town itself, but plenty in the nearby 'Zone Touristique'.... but then failed to make any recommendations at all.

Overall, though, a good buy.
2 people found this helpful
on 23 January 2013
We got on really well with this guide book, had lots of info and all hotels were there and although prices were differ were still cheap. made our trip very easy, thankyou.
One person found this helpful
on 13 December 2012
I was thinking of going to Tunisia on holiday for a while. I bought the book to try and help me decide. I read the book and went the following day to book my Tunisia holiday. Any information that I needed I found in the book. It is easy to read and very interesting.
One person found this helpful