Format: Paperback|Change

Phryne Fisher is minding her own business driving her Hispano-Suiza near Victoria Docks in Melbourne in the 1920s when a gunshot breaks her windscreen and she sees a man lying on the ground. If you are Phryne you stop the car and get out to investigate and as she is doing so she sees two men disappearing over a wall. The wounded man dies in her arms and Phryne resolves to investigate.

Her investigations land her and her household in some dangerous situations and on top of getting mixed up with a group of anarchists she is asked to find a missing teenager who may or may not have run away to join a convent. I love the characters in the Phryne Fisher stories and the Mother Superior of the convent where the Alicia, the missing girl, may have taken refuge is a classic. Her behaviour is not always what might expect of such an exalted personage and she appears to relish adventure.

I enjoyed this book and it was nice to see Jane and Ruth, Phryne's adopted daughters doing some detecting of their own. Bert and Cec - the taxi drivers - also play a part in this story and are proving to be good investigators. This is an enjoyable series which is set in Melbourne in the 1920s and started with Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher Mysteries)
on 15 May 2016
An enjoyable story, as usual. Love the descriptions of the characters, settings and clothes. However, I won't be buying any more of the Phryne Fisher ebooks, at £5.99 for what is really a short story I think they are too expensive, there is only a few hours reading in each book. A bit of a rip off in my opinion.
on 16 March 2015
What a woman is Miss Fisher! Shot at, anarchists, bank robbers, a family right out of a Greek tragedy...and she takes it all in her stride even to facing up to a machine gun armed only with a Colt and expensive French perfume. She just gets better and better. Where has she been all of my reading life? But aren't I glad to have found her. Elegant, brave, sexy as sin. What a Bonzer Sheila!
Phryne Fisher is driving her Hispano Suiza towards her home one evening when someone shoots at her as she is driving past Victoria Dock. She stops to remove the shattered glass from her windscreen and her person and sees a body lying on the ground. The young man has been fatally wounded and dies in her arms. Phryne vows to solve the murder because she doesn't like being shot at and she's rather partial to beautiful young men.

This is a well written and at times humorous mystery set in 1920s Australia. Anarchists are trying to get a foothold in the country and Phryne soon finds herself in danger as well as making some new friends. Her personal assistant Dot Williams gets an opportunity to show how resourceful she can be as well.

I enjoyed this fourth episode in this entertaining series and recommend it to anyone who likes reading books with forceful heroines who can turn their hands to anything.
on 23 January 2015
Highly entertaining! The story includes the adopted daughters, together with the usual friends and staff. It gives an interesting view of the period and the anarchists involved in Melbourne at the time. We are also treated to an outline of Latvian upheavals at that time, too.
Now I've got it into my head how to say Phryne's name (thank you Australian TV Series, even if your leading lady definitely isn't the age Phryne's meant to be in the book!) so that I read it right when I see it, I'm really getting into this series (just what I didn't need considering the number of long running series I'm currently working through!). These are very quick easy reads, but no less fun than that - I frequently don't work out who the culprit is until late on although I'll admit I'm often thinking more about Phryne's boys, clothes and social life than I am about the victims!
on 6 October 2009
Excellent as always. Am working my way through all of the Phryne Fisher Mysteries and they never disappoint.
on 18 June 2013
I watched the TV series and tried the books as a result. They're not very similar but I quite enjoyed the books. I like the heroine and the Australian setting being taken for granted. No great depth but a pleasant way to pass a few hours.
on 11 May 2014
Oh, I am so disappointed! Unless I am mistaken, this title which is number 4 in the series, is not available on Kindle. You would have to jump to book 12 ( to be checked) to be able to enjoy Phrine's adventures on Kindle, missing out on the development of all the characters.
With the success of the TV films, is not the right time to rectify the matter?
on 18 May 2013
Well written and a good tale. I came on this series through seeing it on television. I am very glad I did. It is gentle but still intriguing. A good read for crime fiction lovers.