on 21 May 2007
This book was fantastic! We have never bothered with a guide book before, but this one was amazing, we are converted for future trips - I carried it around for a week in my handbag. Everything from which bus to catch, to the best of the restaurants (at all price levels), and which museums had what in them. It shows precisely where everything is, all detailed on 6 maps of varying scales. So easy to use, and written in plain down-to-earth english; an essential for anyone visiting the beautiful city of Krakow.
on 8 July 2008
We have recently been to Krakow for a long weekend and are so pleased we bought this book before we went. The book really is fantastic! The book has maps, resturant and bar reviews, overviews of museums, where to shop, suggested walking tours, where to catch buses from history etc!!!

We definatley made the most out of our trip by taking this book! We were able to find our way around easily because of the detailed maps! We also ate at a couple of the resturants reviewed in the book - which were excellent! We were able to save money on visiting the salt mines by taking the bus there ourselves rather than go on an organised tour.

I would definatley recommend this book to anybody who is thinking of/is going to Krakow! It is a fantastic book and worth every penny!
on 23 August 2007
Me and my friend wouldn't have survived without this! About 6 different maps, all at different scales...and we found an amazing restaurant thanks to this book!
on 11 April 2010
As an avid user of the Lonely Planet travel guides I decided to buy this even though there were no reviews. And as it was a new release (2010) I was convinced that it would be the most up to date guide on the bookshelf. Oh dear. As my friend and I have learned in the past, it always pays to take two different guides but hers, the Time Out version, was much superior. Anyway, back to the LP. Prices were out of date, cafes have moved (granted, this can't be helped) and many interesting places and details were missed out. Whether this last point was due to the pocket sized nature of the book I don't know. Whilst the positives were the good photos and travel details to places further afield, a major negative had to be the detatchable paper map that lasts all of two minutes. Surely a fold out laminated version would be better! It got me around for 5 days but I was constantly swotting up on where to go and why in other guide books. I won't be boycotting the LP but I'll be looking around before I purchase the next time. The problem is that you can never really know how good a guide book is until you've reached your destination!
on 5 January 2013
These pocket sized guidebooks are fantastic. I never leave the house without one for the place I'm visiting as they are easy and lightweight to carry; have great information in them and are extremely useful for guiding you around the city you've chosen to explore with clear maps and relevant, up to date suggestions.
on 1 May 2008
I am a huge fan of Lonely Planet and have many of their country guides. This city guide, however, is superficial in detail and lacks any of the insight that makes the proper Lonely Planet books so great. For half the price of a country guide, you get about 3% of the information. To be fair, there's nothing actually bad about it but I found the free Krakow guide in my hotel room to be more useful.
on 14 December 2012
Why take anything else for a weekend break. Obviously things change in a couple of years, but the advice is sound, and the fold out map in the back (I didn't tear it out) is a bonus. You'll certainly get the most out of your stay with this little guide.
on 28 June 2014
This is a great guide book packed with info and divided into areas of Krakow and what there is to do and where to eat, plus sections on highlights and background info such as a brief history, a section on music, excursions etc.
My only criticism is that some sections are difficult to actually read as they are written with white onto a lime, mustard, grey and turquoise background- the red is ok. Shame as it makes this not my favourite guide, perhaps this would not bother someone with younger eyes but I find it a bit of a problem.
on 7 June 2012
I have to say this is one of the best small guides that we have had. The way it sectioned the town in to smaller areas so you could easily walk around and also showed you the best places to see/eat/shop/drink in each one made Krakow accessible to us. We were there for 3 days only, and this guide was perfect for the long weekend, it is after all an encounter guide and not meant to be a full guide book to the country/area. We would recommend reviewing your itinery first and then finding out more information in depth about the particular sights you want to see if you are a real sightseeing buff, however, for a long weekend it was ideal.
on 12 December 2012
First of all, if you are hoping for some help with choosing a hotel in Krakow, look somewhere else. This book does not contain even a single hotel review. Instead, it refers the reader to LP's own hotel booking on-line service (a little money-making devise)... so what is the point to buy this book - or rather, given its modest size, brochure?

Secondly, the brochure contain numerous mistakes and omissions: the fact that the Czartoryski museum is closed is not mentioned, the State Rooms and Private Apartments in the Wawel castle are not open on Mondays, Colleguim Maius is not free on Tuesdays, as the author suggests - there many more such examples...

Thirdly, some people may find the authors "playful" language deeply offensive against certain nationalities.

LP at its very low.