on 14 January 2010
I used this guide exclusively to travel around The Gambia.
The guide falls below the usual standard I have come to expect from the LP. The descriptions are good & as a basis for choosing what you want to see & do in the country it is quite good (I thought the maps were excellent).
Where it falls down is on the detail, despite being published in Sep 2009 the prices were usually incorrect (higher & lower than listed) & the majority of phone numbers (that we tried) were not in service due to the general switch to mobiles. Also the description of the road infrastructure is out of date as there are considerably more sealed roads than the guide implies. For such a recent publication there were far too many errors & sections that were blatantly out of date.
Overall its OK, but don't rely on it to get you round the country, if your going to just The Gambia I think Bradt do a stand alone guide which may be more detailed & specifically researched?
VINE VOICEon 19 April 2012
I have usually bought Lonely Planet guides in the past but I am becoming increasinngly disappointed with them these days. The first disappointment is that they don't have anywhere near as many photos as they used to. I love to be able to pour over photos before I go on a trip as I find that it generates excitement as I can visualise where I will be going. This book had a couple of pages of pictures at the beginning and it made the rest of the book look very dry and boring. Pictures aside, I also didn't find this book very passionate about The Gambia; it was pretty bland to be honest and didn't inspire enthusiasm before I got there.

I know that LP were originally created for the independent traveller but people who go on package holidays like to explore too. We booked a package holiday so that the flights and hotel were sorted but we wanted to venture out on our own to find new places and experiences. I was surprised that some of the best restaurants were missing from the book and also the descriptions of others were incorrect e.g. Calypso at Cape Point: what it didn't mention in the book is that there is a tree house restaurant overlooking a crocodile pool (a major point I would have thought).

The information on the differences between local taxis, tourist taxis and how to fend off "bumsters" was useful but to be honest I think there should have been more information on these and similar points (there were tiny paragraphs only).

In summary: a useful book if you just want your info almost in list form. If you want history and culture presneted in a more vibrant and enthusiastic way then this is not the book for you. Someone in our hotel had the Insight guide and I sat and read it for hours - beautiful pictures and inspiring commentary.
on 17 April 2013
There is a lot of text giving much detail about both Gambia and Senegal. I was disappointed that there were not a few more photos.
on 25 August 2016
The book was received at time and the condition of the book was exactly as described. I am absolutely happy with it
on 25 March 2013
Just a goo book giving good information about The Gambia and Senegal, but you can't beat going to the country.
on 25 April 2013
I'm a big Lonely Planet guide and always buy a copy of their guide for whichever country I am visiting
on 20 December 2014