on 2 September 2014
Absolute rubbish. Doesn't give you any idea of how what you are saying really translates. A lot of the phrases will raise blank looks in Swahili speaking countries though some of the vocabulary will be useful. I can't recommend this book to anyone that wants more than a few simple words in Swahili. Wilson's "Simplified Swahili" is a weightier text but really gives a good grounding in useful Swahili and provided me with the basis to advance to intermediate/conversational level within a matter of weeks.
on 13 April 2013
The reviews about this product suggested strongly it was worth trying for my stay in Tanzania this year. It is small enough to slip into small bags or even a pocket and it seems well made although I immediately covered it in sticky backed plastic for even greater protection. It is well structured with topics covering most areas. The explanations of how the words and phrases are put together are clear and pronunciation guides helpful. Very helpful also are the brief comments about life and customs to be aware of. Very pleased I bought this book and recommend it, particularly at the price I paid via Amazon.
on 27 January 2016
Really good, easy & helpful book to use for communicating & getting about in Tanzania/ Kenya. I would really recommend to anyone wanting to speak Swahili/ is going to a Swahili speaking country.
on 31 March 2017
Excellent
on 1 January 2013
I did start to study this book in order to use some of the phrases that it recommended. Unfortunately my elder grandson who
also came with us took a shine to it and I never saw it after he took it to read so I'm not sure that it got as far as our holiday as
he came too..
on 19 July 2011
A great little book. Fitted easily into the side pocket of a rucksack (or handbag). Vital poiltenesses inside front cover made for quick and easy reference. Well set out with a wealth of info and detail that I wasn't in East africa long enough to get to grips with. We enjoyed speaking a few simple words and phrases and received a lot of appreciative smiles from Africans at the effort we made to speak a little of their language. All in all, I was very pleased that I took this little book along with me.
on 4 February 2009
This was an amazingly useful little book which helped to make sense of swahili and I would recommend it to anyone travelling into Kenya. You cannot beat being able to name animals in Swahili! and is amazing to be able to chat even if you pronounce things wrong with local people.
on 21 September 2016
tnx
on 5 February 2014
Found this useful at Airport and border ASLO GREAT TO INTERPRET EXPRESSIONS,and common sayings
Would have liked a Christian section on words used in church
on 15 February 2013
I've used Berlitz before, but this is much better and up to date for my use in Tanzania. Small and fits into the riucksack or poket very easily. I ended up giving it to a local Swahili speaker as the dictionaries are good